Apr 6, 2010, 12:49 PM EST
When the Rays acquired Kelly Shoppach from the Indians this offseason I wondered what type of role that left for Dioner Navarro, because while the two catchers could form a platoon Tampa Bay seemingly paid too high a price for Shoppach to play him just 2-3 times per week.
The jury is still out in terms of how the playing time behind the plate will ultimately shake out, but manager Joe Maddon announced that Navarro will start the Rays’ opener tonight. However, he added that the decision was based on the matchup against Orioles starter Kevin Millwood and doesn’t necessarily mean Navarro will get the nod again tomorrow versus fellow right-hander Jeremy Guthrie (or future right-handers).
Shoppach is a right-handed hitter who has crushed left-handed pitching to the tune of a .295 batting average and .999 OPS while hitting just .224 with a .704 OPS versus righties. That seemingly makes him a candidate to sit against righties in favor of the switch-hitting Navarro, except Navarro has an even lower career OPS versus righties and had the worst OPS of any AL hitter with at least 400 plate appearances in 2009.
- Report: Athletics working on a trade 13
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)