Apr 6, 2010, 9:44 AM EDT
Last October John Smoltz and the Cardinals complained mightily about the balls being used in Great American Ballpark. The beef: that the Reds don’t properly rub them down with Lena Blackburne Baseball Rubbing Mud to remove the gloss as God and Major League Baseball rule 3.01(c) intends.
They’re at it again, with Chris Carpenter saying after yesterday’s game that the baseballs
were not prepared properly. Carpenter: “(Either) they make an adjustment or look into it, (or) ultimately,
somebody’s going to get hurt. Something’s going to get
away, or whatever, and end up getting somebody in the head. I hope that
This is the power of suggestion at work. Last fall Carpenter’s manager and the future Hall-of-Famer made a big stink over it. He knows for weeks if not months ahead of time that he’ll make his season debut in Cincinnati. I think he just psyched himself out over it.
And to be sure: the rule linked above says that it’s the umpires — not the home team who supplies the balls — who has final sign-off on whether they’re acceptable for game play. The umpires for yesterday’s game thought the balls were OK. The Reds’ pitchers had to use the same balls and they didn’t complain. Unless Carpenter thinks they’re all in on the conspiracy too, I’m chalking this up to self-inflicted delusion.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 3
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 23
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 7
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 6
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (168)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)