Apr 6, 2010, 5:45 PM EST
Lots of love from the Cubs about all the help Greg Maddux have them as a special assistant/jack-of-all-trades in Mesa this spring:
The former Cubs and Braves pitcher dabbled in a variety of duties
this spring, from watching pitchers to scouting to even throwing a
little batting practice. One day this past spring, Minor League catcher Chris Robinson was at
Fitch Park, and the Cubs were short of coaches to throw batting
practice. Maddux volunteered, threw a couple times to warm up, then
asked Robinson what he wanted to work on. Maddux then pinpointed the
pitches exactly where Robinson wanted . . .
. . . On a rainy day in February, Maddux was standing behind pitcher Jeff
Stevens, who was throwing in the batting cages. Stevens’ assignment was
to throw 20 pitches, rest, then throw another 20. After he began, Maddux
made a suggestion. “He’s pretty soft-spoken,” Stevens said. “He’d whisper one thing to you
— you’re going to trust him. He said, ‘Throw a slider here.’ He would
help me with sequence and gave me perspective.
And then you see what happened to the Cubs yesterday and you realize the full depth and breadth of the Braves master plan. It begins with Greg Maddux: double agent. Step two will be revealed tomorrow.
Why no, I’m not bitter or jealous that my favorite player of all time has foresaken the team with which he had the most success and provided me the most joy for the team that never loved him the way we, er, I mean, the Braves loved him. No sir.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (151)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)