Apr 6, 2010, 5:45 PM EST
Lots of love from the Cubs about all the help Greg Maddux have them as a special assistant/jack-of-all-trades in Mesa this spring:
The former Cubs and Braves pitcher dabbled in a variety of duties
this spring, from watching pitchers to scouting to even throwing a
little batting practice. One day this past spring, Minor League catcher Chris Robinson was at
Fitch Park, and the Cubs were short of coaches to throw batting
practice. Maddux volunteered, threw a couple times to warm up, then
asked Robinson what he wanted to work on. Maddux then pinpointed the
pitches exactly where Robinson wanted . . .
. . . On a rainy day in February, Maddux was standing behind pitcher Jeff
Stevens, who was throwing in the batting cages. Stevens’ assignment was
to throw 20 pitches, rest, then throw another 20. After he began, Maddux
made a suggestion. “He’s pretty soft-spoken,” Stevens said. “He’d whisper one thing to you
— you’re going to trust him. He said, ‘Throw a slider here.’ He would
help me with sequence and gave me perspective.
And then you see what happened to the Cubs yesterday and you realize the full depth and breadth of the Braves master plan. It begins with Greg Maddux: double agent. Step two will be revealed tomorrow.
Why no, I’m not bitter or jealous that my favorite player of all time has foresaken the team with which he had the most success and provided me the most joy for the team that never loved him the way we, er, I mean, the Braves loved him. No sir.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 72
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (142)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)