Apr 6, 2010, 1:50 PM EDT
One of the few things I like more than gambling is baseball, so the “futures” odds on teams winning the World Series are always interesting. Here’s what Bodog is offering right now (for entertainment purposes only, of course):
AMERICAN LEAGUE ODDS NATIONAL LEAGUE ODDS New York Yankees 3-1 Philadelphia Phillies 6-1 Boston Red Sox 6-1 St. Louis Cardinals 12-1 Seattle Mariners 16-1 Los Angeles Dodgers 16-1 Tampa Bay Rays 18-1 Chicago Cubs 18-1 Minnesota Twins 18-1 Atlanta Braves 20-1 Los Angeles Angels 18-1 Colorado Rockies 20-1 Chicago White Sox 18-1 San Francisco Giants 22-1 Texas Rangers 25-1 New York Mets 28-1 Detroit Tigers 30-1 Arizona Diamondbacks 35-1 Oakland Athletics 60-1 Florida Marlins 38-1 Cleveland Indians 75-1 Milwaukee Brewers 45-1 Baltimore Orioles 100-1 Cincinnati Reds 50-1 Kansas City Royals 100-1 Houston Astros 75-1 Toronto Blue Jays 150-1 San Diego Padres 100-1 Pittsburgh Pirates 150-1 Washington Nationals 150-1
Perhaps the media hype surrounding Seattle’s new management really has gotten out of control, because there’s no way the Mariners should have the fifth-highest odds in all of baseball to win the World Series at 16-to-1. General manager Jack Zduriencik and company have made tremendous strides and it wouldn’t surprise me if they made the playoffs, but 16-to-1 seems crazy
I actually picked the Rangers to narrowly beat the Mariners (plus the Angels and A’s) in the AL West, so I like them at 25-to-1 quite a bit more. The Tigers at 30-to-1 also seems like a decent bet, if only because their offseason losses have generally been overstated and winning the AL Central almost never requires more than 90 victories.
Over in the NL, the Cardinals at 12-to-1 seems decent as far as heavy favorites go. I think they’re neck and neck with the Phillies as the best team in the league and the NL Central may not offer much of a challenge. With that said, the Brewers are certainly a solid enough team that 45-to-1 seems pretty good as a flier. I’d take Milwaukee over at least 3-4 teams with lower odds.
Incidentally, the one thing I’m sure of is that you’ll get an equal return on your investment and probably more enjoyment literally flushing money down the toilet or lighting money on fire than you will betting it on the Pirates, Nationals, or Blue Jays at 150-to-1. Bodog could offer 150-to-1 odds on the Pirates winning the World Series this decade and I’d have to really think about it.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 24
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 20
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 107
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (128)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (108)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)