Cubs overtake Yankees for highest-priced tickets… kind of

Apr 7, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT

In its annual study released Wednesday, the Team Marketing Report concluded that the Cubs have overtaken both the Yankees and Red Sox for baseball’s highest-priced ticket.
The average ticket for non-premium sections at Wrigley Field now costs $52.56, a 10.1 percent increase over last year. Boston’s Fenway Park is just behind at $52.32, a 4.1 percent increase from 2009. Yankee Stadium has dropped from first to third at $51.83 after a mere 0.4 percent increase from last year.
Of course, there’s some fine print there: the Yankees petitioned to have additional lower-deck seats reclassified as premium, even though they don’t include free food like the previously classified premium seats. The Cubs have a far smaller percentage classified as premium seating than either the Yankees or the Red Sox.
Some other facts from the report:
*The average ticket this year costs $26.74, a 1.5 percent increase from 2009. That 1.5 percent increase is the smallest since tracking began in 1991.
*The Diamondbacks have the cheapest average ticket at $14.31. Next are the Padres ($15.15).
*The Twins, being the only team to move into a new stadium this year, had the largest increase from 2009, a whopping 45 percent ($21.70 to $31.47).

1. charles - Apr 7, 2010 at 7:34 PM

$52.56 for the right to fight horrible traffic, pay high parking fees, eat the worst ballpark food in the city and probably the country, and pee in a trough.
    But I guess it could be worse, we could have been waiting a lifetime for a world series title…….. oh yeah………

2. Jack Meoffer - Apr 7, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Charles, I don’t understand it when people praise Wrigley Field when all I heard from people in Chicago and you about what a dump it is. They say 3rd base seats point toward centerfield and very uncomfortable. The isles are narrow and the food sucks. And it looks like it is falling apart. I never knew retro meant dump. I never knew about peeing in a trough. You just cured me of ever steppng into that stadium. I always wanted to check it out but now there is no way in the year 2010 I am going to pull my **** out in front of a stranger and go right there. I don’t need to see ivy covered walls that bad.

3. bondssucks - Apr 7, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Nobody wants to see your **** anyway. You and charles should go rent a room together, you big wussies.

4. z - Apr 8, 2010 at 12:39 AM

Gosh, I sure am glad I helped fund that stadium for the Twins so that they could raise prices 45% for me to see a damn game there.

5. Hollie32Underwood - May 7, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Lots of specialists tell that http://lowest-rate-loans.com help people to live their own way, just because they can feel free to buy needed goods. Furthermore, different banks present short term loan for different classes of people.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3245)