Apr 7, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
In its annual study released Wednesday, the Team Marketing Report concluded that the Cubs have overtaken both the Yankees and Red Sox for baseball’s highest-priced ticket.
The average ticket for non-premium sections at Wrigley Field now costs $52.56, a 10.1 percent increase over last year. Boston’s Fenway Park is just behind at $52.32, a 4.1 percent increase from 2009. Yankee Stadium has dropped from first to third at $51.83 after a mere 0.4 percent increase from last year.
Of course, there’s some fine print there: the Yankees petitioned to have additional lower-deck seats reclassified as premium, even though they don’t include free food like the previously classified premium seats. The Cubs have a far smaller percentage classified as premium seating than either the Yankees or the Red Sox.
Some other facts from the report:
*The average ticket this year costs $26.74, a 1.5 percent increase from 2009. That 1.5 percent increase is the smallest since tracking began in 1991.
*The Diamondbacks have the cheapest average ticket at $14.31. Next are the Padres ($15.15).
*The Twins, being the only team to move into a new stadium this year, had the largest increase from 2009, a whopping 45 percent ($21.70 to $31.47).
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)