Apr 7, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
In its annual study released Wednesday, the Team Marketing Report concluded that the Cubs have overtaken both the Yankees and Red Sox for baseball’s highest-priced ticket.
The average ticket for non-premium sections at Wrigley Field now costs $52.56, a 10.1 percent increase over last year. Boston’s Fenway Park is just behind at $52.32, a 4.1 percent increase from 2009. Yankee Stadium has dropped from first to third at $51.83 after a mere 0.4 percent increase from last year.
Of course, there’s some fine print there: the Yankees petitioned to have additional lower-deck seats reclassified as premium, even though they don’t include free food like the previously classified premium seats. The Cubs have a far smaller percentage classified as premium seating than either the Yankees or the Red Sox.
Some other facts from the report:
*The average ticket this year costs $26.74, a 1.5 percent increase from 2009. That 1.5 percent increase is the smallest since tracking began in 1991.
*The Diamondbacks have the cheapest average ticket at $14.31. Next are the Padres ($15.15).
*The Twins, being the only team to move into a new stadium this year, had the largest increase from 2009, a whopping 45 percent ($21.70 to $31.47).
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 12
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 2
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 20
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)