Jason "Heymaker" Heyward is catching on

Apr 7, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT

heyward sunglasses.JPGIt seems that the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s Dave O’Brien reads HardballTalk:

The Bravos and their faithful have a bonafide superstar on their hands
in the young Heymaker, J-Hey, Joltin’ Jason, the kid too big for one
nickname.

I first suggested “Heymaker” as a nickname for the young Mr. Heyward yesterday, passing along the idea from Twitter follower Brad Hill. I’m assuming Brad came up with it, because I haven’t seen it anywhere else. I am quite pleased, then, to see it used in the Braves’ paper of record.

Dave: go with it!  It’s the best one of the three you name because it’s not a ripoff of a clearly superior player and won’t thus be an albatross in the slight, slight chance Heyward, you know, fails to become the next Willie Mays or Joe DiMaggio.

1. Jonny5 - Apr 7, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Ya know we had some trouble coming up with one for Ryan Howard. I even had my brother in law screaming Ry-Ho from the stands, and we were close enough for the guy to hear. That’ll be the last time I bring him with me to good seats, how embarrassing…. Anyway, most settled on Howard. Why not just call him Heyward ? Or you could call him “this is what you get from the draft when you stink for such a long time”? ;>P

2. Dan - Apr 7, 2010 at 4:32 PM

He was drafted something like 15th overall? I wouldn’t necessarily call that terrible. Also, the braves drafted him at a time when they just finished a run of ten or so seasons making the playoffs, maybe more than ten years. Wouldn’t call that stinking.

3. John - Apr 7, 2010 at 4:41 PM

“Or you could call him “this is what you get from the draft when you stink for such a long time”? ;>P”
    We got him in the 07 draft at the 14th pick. After our only losing season (2006 – 79-83) in 14 years.

4. Ryan - Apr 7, 2010 at 4:42 PM

We can’t call him the “Hey-man?”

5. David - Apr 7, 2010 at 4:45 PM

It is quite a cool nickname, although I’m guessing its a rip-off from WBA heavyweight champion David “Hayemaker” Haye…

6. YX - Apr 7, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Rye Hole??! That works on so many levels.
    “Culvert Con”

7. Jonny5 - Apr 7, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Damn guys, it was a joke. I was just messing. That’s what the ;>P meant.

8. scatterbrian - Apr 7, 2010 at 5:34 PM

I love it Craig. So much better than the stupid first-letter-of-first-name-dash-first-three-letters-of-last-name cleverness.

9. InnocentBystander - Apr 7, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Ooooh. I think I like that. Let’s jump in the hot tub time machine back to when John Sterling used to announce for the Braves and give it a try…
    “…the 2-2 to Heyward…HIT IN THE AIR TO DEEP RIGHT FIELD…IT IS HIGH…IT IS FAR…IT IS GONNNNNE!!!! Jason Heyward drills it into the right field stands. It’s a Heymaker from Heyward and the Braves take a 3-0 lead.”
    Oh yeah. That’s a keeper.

10. Mathew - Apr 8, 2010 at 12:28 PM

You did not just say there is only a slight chance Heyward wont be a Mays or a Dimaggio.
    That is absurd. Those 2 are some of the all time greats in the history of baseball. Top 25 for sure. And your talking like its a fore gone conclusion that he will be sitting next to them 1 day. That is just dumb and disrespectful to the former greats of the league and especially to Mays and Dimaggio who played entire careers to be consider in that light and your putting Heyward there after 2 games.
    Its more likely that Heyward will flop then he be consider in the same breath of those 2.
    If you want to say he will be the next somebody say Pujos or Arod not Mays and Dimaggio.

11. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 8, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Please don’t tell me you didn’t catch the sarcasm with that. I am on record in multiple places telling people that they’re a crazy to be going over the moon about Heyward so early in his career. To the extent I say anything like this it is 100% tongue in cheek.
    I predict that Heyward will be basically a league average hitter this year. Which is great for a 20 year old, of course. Anyone who can say, based on what he’s done so far or even what one can reasonably project, that he’s going to be a Hall of Famer or something is simply wishcasting. You simply can’t predict such things.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (1930)