Apr 7, 2010, 1:31 PM EST
When the Brewers placed Jeff Suppan on the disabled list last week there was some speculation that the move was made in part to delay a decision on whether or not to add the 35-year-old right-hander to the rotation.
However, today’s news that he’s slated to come off the shelf following just one minor-league rehab outing suggests otherwise. Suppan is scheduled to start Friday at Single-A, and if all goes well with his neck injury could be activated for a start as soon as next Wednesday against the Cubs.
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Suppan will rejoin the rotation while both Manny Parra and Chris Narveson remain in the bullpen, with the 36-year-old’s $12.5 million salary no doubt playing a factor even if the Brewers don’t want to admit it.
“We could have a number of No. 5 starters over the course of the year,” manager Ken Macha said. “Right now, we’re going in this direction. Production will be a big part of it. You could make a case for all three guys.”
Suppan went 7-12 with a 5.29 ERA in 30 starts last season, giving up 200 hits and 74 walks in 161.2 innings for the second-most baserunners per nine innings of any pitcher with 25 or more starts. Of course, the only guy to allow more baserunners per nine innings was Parra, so it’s a lesser-of-two-evils situation for Macha and the Brewers.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)