Apr 8, 2010, 6:07 PM EDT
It’s not just my imagination that we’ve had more than our usual share of weird plays these first few days, is it?
With the A’s up 4-0 on the Mariners in the eighth inning and Travis Buck on first Thursday, Cliff Pennington dropped down a bunt that bounced off the glove of third baseman Jose Lopez and started to roll towards foul territory down the third-base line.
Fortunately, catcher Adam Moore was in good position at the time and scooped the ball up before it got too far away. Unfortunately, he performed said scoop with the catcher’s mask in his right hand, rather than the glove on his left.
The miscue led to a meeting between the umpires and the eventual decision to award both runners an extra base, putting Pennington on second and Buck on third. Both later came around to score, giving the A’s a 6-0 lead.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 13
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 217
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 140
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (229)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (140)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)