Dodgers empty the bench against Pirates

Apr 8, 2010, 12:44 PM EDT

Sure, the team has only played twice so far and already got Tuesday off, but with the Dodgers playing this afternoon following a game last night manager Joe Torre has given regulars Manny Ramirez, Russell Martin, Andre Ethier, Casey Blake, and Blake DeWitt the day off.
That means Reed Johnson, Brad Ausmus, Garret Anderson, Jamey Carroll, and Ronnie Belliard are all in the lineup together against the Pirates, which might seem a little unfair to starter Chad Billingsley.
1 – Rafael Furcal, SS
2 – Reed Johnson, LF
3 – Matt Kemp – CF
4 – James Loney – 1B
5 – Ronnie Belliard – 3B
6 – Garret Anderson – RF
7 – Jamey Carroll – 2B
8 – Brad Ausmus – C
Billingsley doesn’t have anything close to the best possible offense or defense behind him, but then again playing the Pirates probably cancels all of that out and if Torre was really feeling generous towards a team that’s trying to get off to an unlikely 3-0 start after not having a winning season since 1992 he’d just go ahead and spot them a few runs.

1. big fan - Apr 8, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Torre is getting really strange. As a yankee manager he did this when the team won the first two – calling it a “money in the bank” game; as if that makes any sense at all. Now he is doing it after losing 2. He is getting old; and has been since 2003. And no, I don’t think that making the playoffs with the most talented team is that great a skill.

2. Joe - Apr 8, 2010 at 1:25 PM

I get the need to give guys a day off once in awhile. I can even get it for the first week of the season, if you want to get some of the bench guys a few PAs early in the season. What I don’t get, and I see Terry Francona do this a lot, is why you would give everybody the SAME game off. Sit a couple guys today, a couple tomorrow, and one guy on Saturday. Have more than half the lineup consist of the best player at that position. Torre’s lineup makes no sense to me.

3. Jonny5 - Apr 8, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I so hope they lose and I so hope they lose the division by one game. That would be super sweet.

4. madcowm - Apr 8, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Dodgers up 8 to 2 in the eighth. So much for second guessing Torre.
    The starting lineup looked so lost the first couple of days. Maybe Torre wanted the bench to show the big boys how to get it done?

5. carlos - Apr 8, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Ethier on my fanatasy team. This move infuriated me. Especially since I get to work, the games already started and I can’t bench him. AAk.

1. H. Pence (2166)