Apr 8, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
I spent the last 20 minutes reading Masters coverage in which sportswriters talk about how wonderful it is that Player X is leading Player Y because we know a lot about Player Y’s sex life and disapprove of it. Thank God for day baseball.
Best game of the early going today: Reds-Cardinals. It was a pitcher’s duel, with Bronson Arroyo and Brad Penny looking sharp. The former have up one run over eight innings, the latter one run over seven. I am obligated to report that Bronson Arroyo “helped his own cause” by knocking in an RBI single, which means that this pitcher has been just as productive as the second richest team in baseball’s designated hitter this season.
The kicker, though was Jonny Gomes hitting a homer to left in the bottom of the ninth off Jason Motte to end it. Jason Motte, by the way, throws really hard. Unfortunately he throws really straight and thus gives up a lot of home runs. He threw six straight hard ones to Gomes. Gomes is a dead-red hitter. Maybe not the best matchup in the history of La Russaville.
Silver lining for Cardinals fans? Brad Penny. While the line score was nice, even nicer was the fact that he got 13 ground ball outs and only four fly ball outs. If that pattern holds, he’s going to have a nice season.
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 34
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)