Apr 8, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
Stuff I missed in the recaps this morning: both the Padres’ Kyle Blanks and the Braves’ Troy Glaus went 0 for 4 with four strikeouts last night. I always like to see the clean statistical purity of a hitless, walkless four K performance. So clean, so satisfying on a perverse level.
I’ve only witnessed the rare platinum sombrero — which is five strikeouts — once, when Pat Burrell did it against the Braves a couple of years ago. Based on how bad Troy Glaus looks in the first two games this season I’ll put even odds on him doing it before the first of May.
UPDATE: Josh Hamilton had a golden sombrero last night as well.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17