UPDATE: I got suckered by T.J. Simers

Apr 8, 2010, 9:44 AM EDT

Manny Ramirez Zen.jpgUPDATE: OK, pretty much ignore everything that follows. I didn’t read all the way to the end and thus didn’t realize that the “Manny Ramirez” The Los Angeles Time’s T.J. Simers interviewed was not, in fact, the Dodgers’ Manny Ramirez. It was a jockey who is also named Manny Ramirez who works at the race track Simers went to. Har har har.

In other news: screw T.J. Simers.

The Los Angeles Times’ T.J. Simers ran into Manny Ramirez at a race track/casino in West Virginia on the Dodgers’ off day Tuesday night. As is Simers’ habit, he asked Manny off-the-wall questions trying to get a reaction. As is Ramirez’s habit, he said whatever popped into his head with little care of regard for the politics of it all.

I tend to like both of those guys for those very reasons.

The highlights:  Manny takes Jamie’s side in the McCourt divorce, he wasn’t all that into the opening game on Monday, he thinks the Giants are going to win the NL West and he hates Boston more than any other city.

I expect some people will get their panties all in a bunch about that stuff — paging the Boston media and Bill Plaschke! But given that we’re more than fifteen years into the Ramirez Experience I would hope that everyone would just let it go, ya know?

1. ditmars1929 - Apr 8, 2010 at 9:54 AM

My panties are not in a bunch (in fact, I prefer boxers), but this guy is a total douche bag. What a clown.

2. Ummm - Apr 8, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Craig-
    You should RTFA. TJ interviewed a jockey named Manny Ramirez.

3. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Apr 8, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Hmm one line paragraph, multiple declarative sentences. It is you Bill Plaschke!

4. John Willumsen - Apr 8, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Um, am I missing something? At the end of the article, doesn’t Simers make it clear that it was all a joke? That he was talking to a jockey of the same name as the baseball player? I have no problem being duped, and it was definitely an entertaining article, but I feel like I wouldn’t have fallen for it if it weren’t for the fact that you linked to it without revealing that it was a joke. Which I’m not complaining about. I guess I’m just a bit confused. It was a good read, and you did a great job dead panning it, and it’s great that Manny is so absurd that it’s a believable story, but it seems a bit much doesn’t it? A whole article to get to a punch line?

5. Ross - Apr 8, 2010 at 10:03 AM

This Captcha Moment brought to you by The Manny B Manny “Huh? Wha…? Nevermind.” Foundation. “Free Lustrous”.

6. OB12 - Apr 8, 2010 at 10:04 AM

The last sentence indicates that Simers was talking to Mountaineer jockey EMANUEL RAMIREZ not Los Angeles Dodgers OFer Manny Ramirez. It is an article written to be purposefully deceptive and stir something up.

7. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 8, 2010 at 10:04 AM

No, I got suckered myself. I just updated to reflect that. I’m so pissed at myself right now, you don’t even want to know.

8. ditmars1929 - Apr 8, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Nah, Church, it’s just me, ditmars1929. But I do appreciate the insult, thank you very much. And even if Craig got duped, Manny Ramirez is still a douche bag.
    You didn’t answer my question yesterday, Church. What the hell were you doing in Cooperstown if you weren’t visiting the HOF? It’s a nice little town and all that, but really, why else would anyone go there?

9. Andy L - Apr 8, 2010 at 10:27 AM

It’s alright Craig. These things happen to the best of us. You unprofessional bastard ;)

10. Dug - Apr 8, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Dudes,
    Simers is like that. He is funny, he is wry, dry and can make you cry.
    He takes sports not so seriously, has valid opinions when he does take sports seriously, is funny as hell and loves the 7-11 Kid, the Grocery Store Bagger and Miss Radio Personality. (disclaimer: if you don’t read him regularly, you won’t get the last three references).
    I think he is one of the best sportswriters in the country. Don’t go by me though, I still like Rick Reilly and believe Jim Murray walked on water.

11. Dug - Apr 8, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Dudes,
    Simers is like that. He is funny, he is wry, dry and can make you cry.

12. Curious George - Apr 8, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Dug, that’s the first Simers love I have seen. At BTF, he consistently takes a beating… and for good reason based on the stuff I have read.

13. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Apr 8, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Ah missed the comment asking why. Friends got married there, but we were only in town for one day so I missed the boat. Tbh would have preferred the HoF over the wedding

14. Dude - Apr 8, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Nobody that is a sport’s fan of the LA teams likes TJ Simers. He caters to those individuals that hate sports. He makes his living by writing articles that run down athletes, managers, owners, etc. His articles should be put on the Opinion or Metro sections of the paper. His talents would be better served covering dog shows or opera, soap operas.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4104)