Apr 8, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
Now, to answer your question about steroids, wouldn’t you like to ask
Roger Maris how he feels about steroids? Or Babe Ruth how he feels about
steroids? Or Hank Aaron, you could probably ask how he feels about
steroids. Because those guys all lost records because of people who
supposedly took steroids. So that’s a different deal right there. But I
didn’t alter any statistics of baseball.
— Pete Rose, casting himself as morally and ethically superior to steroids users in a radio interview yesterday. I searched the entire transcript, however, and could not find any reference to the fact that Paul Janzen, the man who, according
to the Dowd Report, was Rose’s primary bet-placer was also a steroids dealer. Or that one of his best friends during the bad old days, minor leaguer Tommy Gioiosa, was a heavy steroids user who shot up in front of Pete and to whom Pete constantly asked questions about steroids and PEDs, contemplating using them to extend his already lengthy career.
But yes, clearly, Pete Rose was a man above all of that and should be judged less harshly.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 24
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 83
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (85)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)