Apr 8, 2010, 5:15 PM EST
Now, to answer your question about steroids, wouldn’t you like to ask
Roger Maris how he feels about steroids? Or Babe Ruth how he feels about
steroids? Or Hank Aaron, you could probably ask how he feels about
steroids. Because those guys all lost records because of people who
supposedly took steroids. So that’s a different deal right there. But I
didn’t alter any statistics of baseball.
— Pete Rose, casting himself as morally and ethically superior to steroids users in a radio interview yesterday. I searched the entire transcript, however, and could not find any reference to the fact that Paul Janzen, the man who, according
to the Dowd Report, was Rose’s primary bet-placer was also a steroids dealer. Or that one of his best friends during the bad old days, minor leaguer Tommy Gioiosa, was a heavy steroids user who shot up in front of Pete and to whom Pete constantly asked questions about steroids and PEDs, contemplating using them to extend his already lengthy career.
But yes, clearly, Pete Rose was a man above all of that and should be judged less harshly.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)