Apr 8, 2010, 5:15 PM EST
Now, to answer your question about steroids, wouldn’t you like to ask
Roger Maris how he feels about steroids? Or Babe Ruth how he feels about
steroids? Or Hank Aaron, you could probably ask how he feels about
steroids. Because those guys all lost records because of people who
supposedly took steroids. So that’s a different deal right there. But I
didn’t alter any statistics of baseball.
– Pete Rose, casting himself as morally and ethically superior to steroids users in a radio interview yesterday. I searched the entire transcript, however, and could not find any reference to the fact that Paul Janzen, the man who, according
to the Dowd Report, was Rose’s primary bet-placer was also a steroids dealer. Or that one of his best friends during the bad old days, minor leaguer Tommy Gioiosa, was a heavy steroids user who shot up in front of Pete and to whom Pete constantly asked questions about steroids and PEDs, contemplating using them to extend his already lengthy career.
But yes, clearly, Pete Rose was a man above all of that and should be judged less harshly.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 10
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 133
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (128)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (99)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)