Apr 8, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
The 2010 Blue Jays probably won’t end up being known for their pitching or their defense (or their offense, for that matter), but the team came within a Jason Frasor blown save of sweeping the Rangers to open the season.
Three games in, the Rangers have just two guys hitting their weight. Vladimir Guerrero, who always tore up Texas pitching as a member of the Angels, has found his new uni very comfortable, as he’s opened up 7-for-11 with a homer. Nelson Cruz, who has hit fifth right behind Guerrero in the lineup, has two homers, two doubles and five RBI in his 10 at-bats.
And that’s pretty much it. No other Ranger has more than one hit this season. The group is a combined 5-for-74 with two RBI against Shaun Marcum, Brian Tallet, Ricky Romero and four members of the Toronto pen.
The usual first three hitters in the lineup are 1-for-30. Julio Borbon is 0-for-12. Michael Young is 1-for-10. Josh Hamilton, who didn’t start Thursday, is 0-for-8 with six strikeouts.
So what’s next? A home series against Seattle in which the Rangers will face Jason Vargas, Felix Hernandez and Ian Snell. The depleted lineup missing Ian Kinsler and Jarrod Saltalamacchia better get something done Friday, as all Felix did last year was go 2-0 with a 0.86 ERA in three starts at Rangers ballpark.
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 29
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 60
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 105
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (105)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)