Target Field: totally green

Apr 8, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT

Target Field: Where the only thing that isn’t green are the seats:

The ballpark has been awarded silver-level certification in Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design by the U.S. Green Building Council. The Twins announced Thursday that their LEED score of 36 points is the highest for an outdoor baseball facility in the United States. Nationals Park in Washington, D.C., which opened two years ago, scored 34 points.

The two most striking elements of the ballpark design I saw in the recently-posted tour of the place were (a) the heaters over the concourse; and (b) the big wood sculpture/mural things of Twins greats like Rod Carew, Kirby Puckett and the like in various bars and restaurants on-site. The fact that they can chop down trees in the name of bar art and are paying to heat the Minnesota outdoors and are still the most green park around either means that the bar is really low for green ballparks or else they’re really going the extra mile to make it up elsewhere.

I’m no expert, but I’d really take a close look at the hot dog wrappers if I were you.

1. erok - Apr 8, 2010 at 6:26 PM

if i’m not mistaken, the heat comes from an incinerator across the street.

2. monkeyball - Apr 8, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Matt Yglesias recently pointed out that LEED scores are very easy to game, by such simple and nonessential gimmickry as putting bike racks outside the building. Not to say that the LEED score of any building is irrelevant, but that, as you snarkily imply, Craig, that it warrants further study.

3. Jack Meoffer - Apr 8, 2010 at 8:01 PM

I thought the heat came from the fans farting after eating too much bratwurst.

4. Walker - Apr 8, 2010 at 8:14 PM

I don’t know what you’re getting at but the hotdogs come in paper boats and the brats are wrapped in a thin wrapper. No aluminum foil there.

5. Jeff - Apr 8, 2010 at 8:59 PM

I believe that the public transportation to and from the ballpark has a large part in that score. I know that personally I’m taking the train to the ballpark and won’t have to worry about parking at all.

6. Charles Gates - Apr 9, 2010 at 8:49 AM

Bicycling Magazine named Minneapolis as one of their runner ups for the ‘Best Cities for Cycling.’ (http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6610,s1-2-18-17083-1,00.html)
    The article in the mag, can’t find it online, said something along the lines of people in Minneapolis cycle-commute just as often as those in other bike centric cities, like Seattle, all throughout the year. It has a lot to do with the city’s commitment to bike lanes, bike racks etc.

7. Smit - Apr 9, 2010 at 12:42 PM

I’m big on living in one with the environment..not being a parasite to it. So am I wrong in thinking that we farm the trees and its not the worst thing in the world to use paper or wood. I mean unless its coming from virgin forests in Brazil or Burma..is it ok to use wood from what are essentially farms in which we plant as many trees as we cut? Maybe we can do a better job of introducing and/or maintaining more wildlife in the tree farms .. but overall I don’t seem to see a problem with paper use unless we are cutting virgin forests for it.
    Does that make any sense?
    Smit

8. Daniel Watkins - Apr 10, 2010 at 6:33 AM

Yes and no. It makes sense that using ‘farmed’ wood is better than ‘virgin’ wood. However, there is still an environmental cost to shipping the wood from the wood farm, and processing it into paper, so not using the paper at all would still be better, in environmental terms.

9. 60eagles - Apr 21, 2010 at 5:40 AM

I think I will just get in my large SUV and go for a spin.

Orioles turn AL East on its head