Apr 8, 2010, 5:45 PM EST
Target Field: Where the only thing that isn’t green are the seats:
The ballpark has been awarded silver-level certification in Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design by the U.S. Green Building Council. The Twins announced Thursday that their LEED score of 36 points is the highest for an outdoor baseball facility in the United States. Nationals Park in Washington, D.C., which opened two years ago, scored 34 points.
The two most striking elements of the ballpark design I saw in the recently-posted tour of the place were (a) the heaters over the concourse; and (b) the big wood sculpture/mural things of Twins greats like Rod Carew, Kirby Puckett and the like in various bars and restaurants on-site. The fact that they can chop down trees in the name of bar art and are paying to heat the Minnesota outdoors and are still the most green park around either means that the bar is really low for green ballparks or else they’re really going the extra mile to make it up elsewhere.
I’m no expert, but I’d really take a close look at the hot dog wrappers if I were you.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)