The Marlins: baseball's most profitable team

Apr 8, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT

Marlins logo.jpgPeople complain all the time, but why on Earth would the Florida Marlins want to do things like pay money to bolster their bullpen or spend money on marketing and fan appreciation stuff in order to fill even a quarter of the seats in their ballpark? Especially when even without doing that they are baseball’s most profitable team?

[A]ccording to Forbes, the Marlins aren’t suffering at all. The annual report shows that the Marlins lead the league in operating income, a measure of profit. The club pulled in $46.1 million in operating income, $6.1 million more than the second place club, the Boston Red Sox. Other clubs that will see revenue sharing, have had low attendance, and poor showing in the standings, but see high profits include the Washington Nationals ($33.5 million), and San Diego Padres ($32.1 million).

Meanwhile the Brewers, who also receive revenue sharing money, are plowing the dough into good young players and are getting raked over the coals over it all.  Madness.

1. YX - Apr 8, 2010 at 1:42 PM

You don’t make money by doing the right thing, not exactly news.
    “professional poodle”

2. Matt - Apr 8, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Colour me not surprised.
    “plowing the dough into good young players”
    Wow, Craig. I don’t know if that’s my dirty mind or what, but…wow.
    Captcha: duffers 10:50 – Did I miss the Book of Duffers in Bible school?

3. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Apr 8, 2010 at 2:15 PM

I suppose it would appear that way to someone who’s only looking at incomplete and unverified data. Because I can’t think of *any* reason why any of these teams might want to underreport some numbers and overreport others. Teams don’t *ever* create subsidiaries to create on-paper-only losses, right?
    Captcha: Empire whose

4. Mac - Apr 8, 2010 at 2:32 PM

If you are revenue sharing and not doing something to make your team more competitive than you should not get the money. The purpose of revenue sharing was not to enrich ownwers. It was to provide some parity in the league. I think the Marlins have a good strategy in that they bank on some key talent and trade other talent after a time to restock their farm system. They have been a competitive team so good for them. On the other hand there are teams in this leagues that are taking the money and putting a team no better than double aa on the field. If I were a team on the paying side I would be downright mad as hell about this.

5. BC - Apr 8, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Old Gator, where do you stand on this?

6. YankeesfanLen - Apr 8, 2010 at 3:12 PM

So much for the salary cap debate.

7. carlos - Apr 8, 2010 at 5:50 PM

what does this have to do with salary cap?

8. Old Gator - Apr 9, 2010 at 2:10 AM

It’s 2 AM and I just spent a day trying to get home from Knoxville when Deltoid/Darthwest was going through one of its epic Harstfield thunderstorm meltdowns, the effect rippling though the entire national system like a perfectly meshed sequence of Bagatelli fiascos (Deltoid/Darthwest fiascos socket smoothly, each into the one about to follow it) and royally screwing everyone over who tried to travel today. It took me as long to get home from Knoxville today as it usually does from Tokyo: 15 hours. Ergo, I’m brain dead and in no shape to be synthesizing new, startling epithets and neologisms with which to revile Scrooge McLoria, the Chihuahua and the Major League Baseball brahmins who are permitting the nappy little planarian to get away with it. Why Randy Levine is wasting his fire on anyone else is beyond me.
    Ugh – I just measured my seratonin levels and they’re almost balanced with their inhibitors. Not good when the little test strip turns paisley like that; it’s a sure sign of impending REM deprivation. I need some sleep, and I’ll be able to be more offensive tomorrow on a good night’s rest.

9. Howard - Apr 18, 2010 at 10:45 PM

No doubt about it, the Marlins org makes money.

10. Richard - Apr 19, 2010 at 12:29 PM

I thought the last comment (in the article) was pathetic. I would hardly call the Yankees defending themselves after getting publicly badmouthed ‘raking the brewers over coals’. Could Levine have phrased it better, yeah. But it’s not like he called up Attansio, “Hey Mark, could you whine about rules WE DIDN’T COME UP WITH in public later today? Thanks”

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3472)