Apr 9, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
A’s prospect Grant Desme made headlines back in January for abruptly quitting baseball to join the priesthood and when Mark Emmons of the San Jose Mercury News caught up with him earlier this week the 24-year-old former outfielder said: “I didn’t even realize it was Opening Day.”
“I know it’s hard for some people to understand, and I don’t think there’s any perfect way to explain it because it’s such a personal choice,” he said. “All I can say is that when God speaks to you, it gets your attention.” As he became emotional while speaking to a San Jose Catholic professional group Thursday about his decision, one thing was clear: He doesn’t miss baseball. …
Desme says he was conflicted when he accepted the St. Michael’s invitation. “I saw everything that I might do in baseball pass before my eyes,” he said. But he came to view his baseball success as a final test–this is what you will be giving up. It wasn’t the only test. “Once you start considering the priesthood, the most beautiful Catholic women start showing up,” Desme said. “That made my decision interesting.”
It never occurred to me that someone could join the priesthood for the chicks, but I’m never one to rule out any options. Anyway, instead of kicking off his season at Triple-A, here’s what Desme is up to:
St. Michael’s is a community of 70 members who live like monks. The process of becoming an ordained priest in the order takes about 10 years. When he arrives, Desme will give up all the trappings of modern life. He won’t be allowed to use a cell phone or the Internet, watch television, listen to the radio, read a newspaper or go home during the first two years.
He will join the other abbey members as they spend about three hours a day singing their prayers in Gregorian chant. “I’m just trying to learn how to read music now,” said Desme, conceding he doesn’t have much of a singing voice.
The whole article is definitely worth reading, particularly if you’re like me and don’t really understand (or at least can’t comprehend) Desme’s decision.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (104)