Apr 9, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
A’s prospect Grant Desme made headlines back in January for abruptly quitting baseball to join the priesthood and when Mark Emmons of the San Jose Mercury News caught up with him earlier this week the 24-year-old former outfielder said: “I didn’t even realize it was Opening Day.”
“I know it’s hard for some people to understand, and I don’t think there’s any perfect way to explain it because it’s such a personal choice,” he said. “All I can say is that when God speaks to you, it gets your attention.” As he became emotional while speaking to a San Jose Catholic professional group Thursday about his decision, one thing was clear: He doesn’t miss baseball. …
Desme says he was conflicted when he accepted the St. Michael’s invitation. “I saw everything that I might do in baseball pass before my eyes,” he said. But he came to view his baseball success as a final test–this is what you will be giving up. It wasn’t the only test. “Once you start considering the priesthood, the most beautiful Catholic women start showing up,” Desme said. “That made my decision interesting.”
It never occurred to me that someone could join the priesthood for the chicks, but I’m never one to rule out any options. Anyway, instead of kicking off his season at Triple-A, here’s what Desme is up to:
St. Michael’s is a community of 70 members who live like monks. The process of becoming an ordained priest in the order takes about 10 years. When he arrives, Desme will give up all the trappings of modern life. He won’t be allowed to use a cell phone or the Internet, watch television, listen to the radio, read a newspaper or go home during the first two years.
He will join the other abbey members as they spend about three hours a day singing their prayers in Gregorian chant. “I’m just trying to learn how to read music now,” said Desme, conceding he doesn’t have much of a singing voice.
The whole article is definitely worth reading, particularly if you’re like me and don’t really understand (or at least can’t comprehend) Desme’s decision.
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 8
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 11
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 21
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)