Buck Showalter on Derek Lee's butt: "I look at it I say, wow"

Apr 9, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT

Baby got back.jpgSlate’s Josh Levin has surveyed the experts, and it’s pretty clear: if you want to really know what you’ve got in a young prospect, you gotta inspect his butt.  The scouts’ consensus: if you have a flat butt, you’re just not gonna make it in this game because it means that you’ll never fill out and get strong like a big leaguer needs to do.

As the blog Nerd Baseball notes, former Yankees, Dbacks and Rangers manager Buck Showalter may be on the bleeding edge of butt-scouting. “You don’t see a lot of good power hitters or good pitchers that
generate arm speed that don’t have a good, high butt on them,” Showalter said. And he thinks Derek Lee is close to the ideal. “I don’t want to say he’s got a perfect butt, but when I look at it I
say, Wow.”  As do we all, Buck. As do we all.

And not that you asked, but I’ve got a really flat butt. Going forward, I’m going to assume that it — and not my lack of hand-eye coordination, speed, instincts, and upper body strength — is the reason why I never made it past the Babe Ruth league.

1. Morgan W - Apr 9, 2010 at 5:21 PM

First the David Wright advert…now this! What is going on in this place?

2. Belize's bonilla - Apr 9, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Posting strictly because the captcha was ‘Belize’s bonilla’ when I went to read the comments, and that’s a mighty fine Google Image search. Topical too!

3. JP - Apr 9, 2010 at 5:45 PM

It remains unclear whether one can trust a scouting report based on a big butt and a smile.

4. davidc45629 - Apr 9, 2010 at 6:46 PM

High butt, thick thighs..oh, wait….

5. Freddy - Apr 9, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Gee Buck, just imagine how good Ted Williams and Joe Di Maggio might have been had they been blessed with more robust derrieres, then their numbers might never be eclipsed by The Apple Bottom King. Oh wait….

6. Sarl - Apr 9, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Buck is an idiot. I have never heard of such nonsense. The major are filled with great players who don’t have big butts. Buck do you mean…Buttyism?

7. Curious George - Apr 9, 2010 at 8:46 PM

So we ARE here to sell jeans then, after all.

8. Moses Green - Apr 10, 2010 at 5:02 AM

greatest … tagline … evuh
    I’m very pround of HardBallsTalkNation for not making any kind of gay jokes whatsoever. I’m especially proud of me. But sometimes I just feel like – if it’s standing up there on a tee – maybe it’s not worth losing the ball over a wall somewhere – maybe it would be more fulfilling to wait for a more difficult setup. Try to yank a curveball or something.
    Kudos for Curious George for the Moneyball reference. Clearly Jeremy Brown’s problem was saggy butt, like Buck says, you want that good high butt.

9. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Apr 10, 2010 at 8:57 AM

greatest … tagline … evuh

Should have gone with “never trust a big butt and a smile”

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3859)