Apr 9, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
Slate’s Josh Levin has surveyed the experts, and it’s pretty clear: if you want to really know what you’ve got in a young prospect, you gotta inspect his butt. The scouts’ consensus: if you have a flat butt, you’re just not gonna make it in this game because it means that you’ll never fill out and get strong like a big leaguer needs to do.
As the blog Nerd Baseball notes, former Yankees, Dbacks and Rangers manager Buck Showalter may be on the bleeding edge of butt-scouting. “You don’t see a lot of good power hitters or good pitchers that
generate arm speed that don’t have a good, high butt on them,” Showalter said. And he thinks Derek Lee is close to the ideal. “I don’t want to say he’s got a perfect butt, but when I look at it I
say, Wow.” As do we all, Buck. As do we all.
And not that you asked, but I’ve got a really flat butt. Going forward, I’m going to assume that it — and not my lack of hand-eye coordination, speed, instincts, and upper body strength — is the reason why I never made it past the Babe Ruth league.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 35
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 49
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 67
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)