Camden Yards is getting a facelift

Apr 9, 2010, 10:28 AM EDT

Camden Yards.jpgIt’s not necessarily major surgery, but the mere fact that the words “renovation” and “modernize” are being used regarding Camden Yards makes me feel really really old.  Among the stuff they’re doing now and over the next year or two:

• New seats;
  • New toilets;
  • New concrete on the concourses;
  • New roof on the B&O Warehouse;

They’ll also “map out a plan to modernize Camden Yards while maintaining its retro
feel.”

It’s still hard to get my head around this sort of thing, but the fact is that if cities and teams had maintained the old parks so conscientiously they may still be playing ball in some of them. Instead, we now read insanely jarring sentences such as “only 10 major league fields are older than Baltimore’s.”

1. BC - Apr 9, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Darn thing is not even 20 years old, is it? What the heck is there to renovate????

2. GimmeSomeSteel - Apr 9, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Built by union labor. Team owned by an attention-whore lawyer.
    Questions?

3. APBA Guy - Apr 9, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I remember going to Camden’s first game: a two-hit shutout in 1992 by now commentator Rick Sutcliffe against Cleveland’s Charles Nagy. There were 44,000 people in the stands, and the three things I rememeber most were:
    -It would take 3 games to draw this many at Memorial Stadium
    -This place is gorgeous. I can’t wait to come back.
    -Beer is much more than Memorial Stadium. I better slow down.
    So the “old” ballpark is almost 20 years old. A few touch ups here and there make sense. And lord knows, Angelos has the money.

4. Russ Smith - Apr 9, 2010 at 2:04 PM

New prices, too, for premium games (ie, Peter Angelos’ cash cows the Yanks and Red Sox), up about 8 bucks from last year.

5. d - Apr 9, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I got an “inside” tour during construction because one of the sub contractors (yes, one of the big bad union ones – who actually do excellent work, at least for me they did) had a job in there (all the sound and lighting iirc). Anyway, that was petty cool to see during the consruction phase. and, yes, it does make me feel old.
    Saw the second game there, and whenever the Rsox were in town, memorial always sold out – some things never change!
    marauded expiring

6. Old Gator - Apr 9, 2010 at 6:03 PM

My ex-wife once asked me how much a facelift cost. I told her it depended on how much her face weighed.
    I guess the outcome was just written in the stars.

7. Daniel Watkins - Apr 11, 2010 at 6:35 AM

Which are presumably what you were seeing for days afterwards…

Yet another WS run for the Giants