Apr 9, 2010, 1:43 PM EDT
Oakland designated Jack Cust for assignment over the weekend to clear space on the 25-man roster for several out-of-options players, but he’ll likely remain in the organization and head to Triple-A after clearing waivers yesterday.
Perhaps if the A’s would have waived Cust a month ago another team would have had the budget space to take a flier on him as a part-time designated hitter or left fielder, although certainly that’s no guarantee.
Cust has been a very productive hitter despite a .239 career batting average, but that low mark combined with tons of strikeouts and little defensive ability limits the number of interested teams even before considering the difficulty of adding a $2.65 million salary in mid-April.
Cust is coming off his worst season, but was still above average offensively and has produced a .378 on-base percentage with a .462 slugging percentage over the past three years. That works out to an .840 OPS with an average of 33 homers per 550 at-bats. For comparison, only two American League teams got an OPS above .840 from the DH spot last season and only five of the 30 teams across both leagues got an OPS above .840 from left field.
Once the A’s realize that Eric Chavez hasn’t produced like a DH since 2005 or he simply gets hurt again, expect to see Cust back in Oakland.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)