Apr 9, 2010, 1:43 PM EDT
Oakland designated Jack Cust for assignment over the weekend to clear space on the 25-man roster for several out-of-options players, but he’ll likely remain in the organization and head to Triple-A after clearing waivers yesterday.
Perhaps if the A’s would have waived Cust a month ago another team would have had the budget space to take a flier on him as a part-time designated hitter or left fielder, although certainly that’s no guarantee.
Cust has been a very productive hitter despite a .239 career batting average, but that low mark combined with tons of strikeouts and little defensive ability limits the number of interested teams even before considering the difficulty of adding a $2.65 million salary in mid-April.
Cust is coming off his worst season, but was still above average offensively and has produced a .378 on-base percentage with a .462 slugging percentage over the past three years. That works out to an .840 OPS with an average of 33 homers per 550 at-bats. For comparison, only two American League teams got an OPS above .840 from the DH spot last season and only five of the 30 teams across both leagues got an OPS above .840 from left field.
Once the A’s realize that Eric Chavez hasn’t produced like a DH since 2005 or he simply gets hurt again, expect to see Cust back in Oakland.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)