Apr 9, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
So sayeth the Boston Herald:
Now, here’s something you haven’t read about the Red Sox $68 million man Josh Beckett: He’s engaged to a rocket scientist! It’s supposed to be on the DL, but we hear the Sox starter popped the question to Holly Fisher around Valentine’s Day when they attended the Daytona 500 together. … Future Mrs. Josh … works as a space-engineering consultant on the West Coast.
Now, it appears that Beckett and his future bride both graduated in 1999 from Spring High School in Spring, Texas. So reunited high school sweethearts? Perhaps. He went into the minor leagues after graduating and she left Texas for Florida’s Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University where she graduated with a degree in aeronautical engineering in 2004. While working at Boeing–right out of college–she scored a Master of Science degree in Astronautical Engineering from University of Southern California.
The potential jokes here are so plentiful that I’m tempted not to make any, so I’ll simply ask: How many other rocket scientists do you figure attended the Daytona 500? Also, how do actual rocket scientists respond when someone else says, “It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to do that”?
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)