Apr 9, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
So sayeth the Boston Herald:
Now, here’s something you haven’t read about the Red Sox $68 million man Josh Beckett: He’s engaged to a rocket scientist! It’s supposed to be on the DL, but we hear the Sox starter popped the question to Holly Fisher around Valentine’s Day when they attended the Daytona 500 together. … Future Mrs. Josh … works as a space-engineering consultant on the West Coast.
Now, it appears that Beckett and his future bride both graduated in 1999 from Spring High School in Spring, Texas. So reunited high school sweethearts? Perhaps. He went into the minor leagues after graduating and she left Texas for Florida’s Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University where she graduated with a degree in aeronautical engineering in 2004. While working at Boeing–right out of college–she scored a Master of Science degree in Astronautical Engineering from University of Southern California.
The potential jokes here are so plentiful that I’m tempted not to make any, so I’ll simply ask: How many other rocket scientists do you figure attended the Daytona 500? Also, how do actual rocket scientists respond when someone else says, “It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to do that”?
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 54
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 31
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 8
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)