Apr 9, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
So sayeth the Boston Herald:
Now, here’s something you haven’t read about the Red Sox $68 million man Josh Beckett: He’s engaged to a rocket scientist! It’s supposed to be on the DL, but we hear the Sox starter popped the question to Holly Fisher around Valentine’s Day when they attended the Daytona 500 together. … Future Mrs. Josh … works as a space-engineering consultant on the West Coast.
Now, it appears that Beckett and his future bride both graduated in 1999 from Spring High School in Spring, Texas. So reunited high school sweethearts? Perhaps. He went into the minor leagues after graduating and she left Texas for Florida’s Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University where she graduated with a degree in aeronautical engineering in 2004. While working at Boeing–right out of college–she scored a Master of Science degree in Astronautical Engineering from University of Southern California.
The potential jokes here are so plentiful that I’m tempted not to make any, so I’ll simply ask: How many other rocket scientists do you figure attended the Daytona 500? Also, how do actual rocket scientists respond when someone else says, “It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to do that”?
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)