Man of the Day: Brandon Inge

Apr 9, 2010, 2:14 PM EDT

I won’t run this feature every day because, let’s face it, you can go many days in a row without finding examples of bonafide manhood, but I have one for today at least.

Brandon Inge, Detroit Tigers’ third baseman. I’m watching him in the Indians-Tigers game right now. It was 39 degrees and windy at game time and the dude’s wearing short sleeves. Reminds me of Woody Hayes. Of course, Inge also wears a jersey three sizes too big for him, so he could have a kerosene heater under there or something and we’d never know.

Just before I hit “post” he legged out an infield single, so it would have to be a light kerosene heater.

1. keithcash - Apr 9, 2010 at 2:34 PM

This web site sucks.

2. ditmars1929 - Apr 9, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Then you can leave now.

3. tjwilliams - Apr 9, 2010 at 2:49 PM

You mock the giant jersey, but sometimes it comes in handy.
    Or not.

4. Charles Gates - Apr 9, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Ok, so I went out Googling for a Wade Boggs quote from way back when pertaining to the subject at hand. I remember, when Boggs was on the Yankees, that he never wore a long sleeve shirt under his jersey. When asked about it, he said something along the lines of, ‘Hitting comes first. If an additional shirt constricts my swing in any way, I won’t wear it regardless of how cold it is.’
    I semi-validated this memory by finding an image of Boggs riding that horse around Yankee Stadium after the World Series win. He was only wearing a short sleeved jersey. If you look at the police officers in the background, they’re all wearing jackets, so I assume it was cold, as you’d expect for an October night in NYC.
    So, like I said, I went Googling for the exact quote. Instead, I found this: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104542
    It’s the transcript to a radio interview on 950 KJR, titled ‘How Many Beers Could You Drink On A Cross Country Flight.’ They posed the ‘Who drank the most?’ question to Jeff Nelson. A few comments later:
    Nelson: Oh, I’d say, on a typical road trip, east coast to west coast [Nelly played with Boggs on the Yankees], say a road game to Seattle……Wade would drink anywhere between 50 and 60 beers.

5. Charles Gates - Apr 9, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Wade Boggs addresses this directly on PTI:

He says 64 isn’t ‘the number,’ but based on his reaction, I’d say that the story is probably over half true.
    Now, where’s that dang cold weather quote?

6. Charles Gates - Apr 9, 2010 at 3:34 PM

I found a Sports Illustrated picture from October 25, 1986 of Wade Boggs sliding into home plate during the World Series (with Boston, not the one I was referencing above) and he’s wearing a long sleeved shirt. Maybe he developed his ‘no long under shirt’ thing later in his career.

7. Ryan - Apr 9, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Unless he had a run-in with King Arthur before playing a game and his arm is quite literally ‘off,’ he is not manly. 49 other dudes had to play in the same conditions.

8. Grant - Apr 9, 2010 at 7:14 PM

So I’m reading Ball Four right now, and Bouton is amused/exasperated by the super-tight uniforms that were becoming fashionable while he was writing the book. Oh how the times change.

9. INGE MAKES ME CRINGE - Apr 24, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Inge and Rod Allen sleep together on the road/ Inge is the worst #6 hitter in baseball!!!!/ Inge is a hybrid of Colt Mccoy and Freddie Munoz/ I would rather have Munoz batting with a man on 3rd and less than 2 outs/ Inge is on a torrid pace and should hit 0 homers this year./ Tigers 6-9 hitters wont combine for 20 rbi’s this season( i hate rbi)/ Rod Allen is without a doubt the most annoying human on planet Earth/ Let’s change Rod’s affectionate name for the Laird-ass from G-money to C-money—COUNTERFEIT MONEY./ Rod Allen uses more words to say absolutely nothing and makes less sense than Mickey Redmond and Jim Price, neither of whom make any sense at all./ Go get ‘em,Tigers !!!!!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2843)