Apr 9, 2010, 7:41 PM EDT
Mike Gonzalez isn’t doing much to endear himself to Baltimore right now. After blowing a save on Opening Night against the Rays, he proceeded to cough up the lead in Friday’s home opener against the Blue Jays, as well.
Handed a one-run lead in the ninth, Gonzalez didn’t waste any time, walking Edwin Encarnacion, throwing a wild pitch, then surrendering a game-tying double to Travis Snider. John McDonald then pushed Snider to third base with a bunt, setting up Jose Bautista to deliver a sacrifice fly for the game’s decisive run.
The new Baltimore stopper has allowed four runs on five hits over his first two innings of work this season while walking four and striking out three. Regardless, he tells Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com that he’s confident he can shake the early struggles.
“There’s no doubt in my mind that i can get the
job done. I need to turn this around and i need to do it quick.”
Gonzalez has said all the right things thus far and there’s no reason to believe he’s not healthy, but remember that he underwent Tommy John surgery in 2007 and is coming off a season in which he made a career-high 80 appearances. Even tossing the inherent health risk aside, it’s one of the offseason’s biggest head-scratchers why the Orioles decided to give a two-year, $12 million commitment to a closer when they aren’t
even expected to legitimately contend this season.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 16
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 4
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 50
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)