Apr 9, 2010, 4:10 PM EDT
Brian Roberts, who had to overcome a back injury to open the season on time, was forced from Friday afternoon’s game against the Blue Jays due to a strained abdominal muscle.
It’d be a big blow if the Orioles lost their second baseman for any length of time, though they are better covered now with recent acquisition Julio Lugo as their utilityman than they were with last year’s backup, Robert Andino.
Before the Lugo trade, it looked like Justin Turner would be the choice to fill in if Roberts’ back injury was going to limit him past Opening Day. The 24-year-old hit .300/.362/.388 with just 37 strikeouts in 387 at-bats for Triple-A Norfolk last season, and he impressed this spring by going 11-for-32 with a homer and seven RBI. Lugo is probably the better choice to start at the moment, but Turner would be in line for the callup if Roberts lands on the DL.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)