Apr 9, 2010, 4:10 PM EST
Brian Roberts, who had to overcome a back injury to open the season on time, was forced from Friday afternoon’s game against the Blue Jays due to a strained abdominal muscle.
It’d be a big blow if the Orioles lost their second baseman for any length of time, though they are better covered now with recent acquisition Julio Lugo as their utilityman than they were with last year’s backup, Robert Andino.
Before the Lugo trade, it looked like Justin Turner would be the choice to fill in if Roberts’ back injury was going to limit him past Opening Day. The 24-year-old hit .300/.362/.388 with just 37 strikeouts in 387 at-bats for Triple-A Norfolk last season, and he impressed this spring by going 11-for-32 with a homer and seven RBI. Lugo is probably the better choice to start at the moment, but Turner would be in line for the callup if Roberts lands on the DL.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)