Apr 9, 2010, 10:40 PM EDT
UPDATE: These could be two of them. Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Diamondbacks and Indians are possibilities for Washburn, while the Mariners are becoming “a long shot.”
7:00 pm: Agent Scott Boras told Tom Krasovic of AOL Fanhouse that “as many as five clubs” are interested in free agent left-hander Jarrod Washburn.
“A lot of teams are interested. The reality has struck.”
This, after Washburn reportedly turned down a modest contract offer from the Mariners last month. Right. Now Boras has everyone right where he wants them. Crackerjack job, man.
Washburn was 9-9 with a 3.78 ERA and 1.19 WHIP over 28 starts last season; impressive numbers until you remember the cozy place he pitched in until July 31 and the 7.33 ERA he posted in eight starts with the Tigers. His FIP (Fielding Independent Pitching) was actually 4.58. Toss in the fact that he’s a 35-year-old left-hander who underwent knee surgery last October, and it’s no surprise to see him still out of work, or at least without the contract he and his agent desires.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 13
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 51
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 52
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 45
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)