Apr 9, 2010, 10:40 PM EDT
UPDATE: These could be two of them. Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Diamondbacks and Indians are possibilities for Washburn, while the Mariners are becoming “a long shot.”
7:00 pm: Agent Scott Boras told Tom Krasovic of AOL Fanhouse that “as many as five clubs” are interested in free agent left-hander Jarrod Washburn.
“A lot of teams are interested. The reality has struck.”
This, after Washburn reportedly turned down a modest contract offer from the Mariners last month. Right. Now Boras has everyone right where he wants them. Crackerjack job, man.
Washburn was 9-9 with a 3.78 ERA and 1.19 WHIP over 28 starts last season; impressive numbers until you remember the cozy place he pitched in until July 31 and the 7.33 ERA he posted in eight starts with the Tigers. His FIP (Fielding Independent Pitching) was actually 4.58. Toss in the fact that he’s a 35-year-old left-hander who underwent knee surgery last October, and it’s no surprise to see him still out of work, or at least without the contract he and his agent desires.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)