Apr 9, 2010, 10:40 PM EST
UPDATE: These could be two of them. Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Diamondbacks and Indians are possibilities for Washburn, while the Mariners are becoming “a long shot.”
7:00 pm: Agent Scott Boras told Tom Krasovic of AOL Fanhouse that “as many as five clubs” are interested in free agent left-hander Jarrod Washburn.
“A lot of teams are interested. The reality has struck.”
This, after Washburn reportedly turned down a modest contract offer from the Mariners last month. Right. Now Boras has everyone right where he wants them. Crackerjack job, man.
Washburn was 9-9 with a 3.78 ERA and 1.19 WHIP over 28 starts last season; impressive numbers until you remember the cozy place he pitched in until July 31 and the 7.33 ERA he posted in eight starts with the Tigers. His FIP (Fielding Independent Pitching) was actually 4.58. Toss in the fact that he’s a 35-year-old left-hander who underwent knee surgery last October, and it’s no surprise to see him still out of work, or at least without the contract he and his agent desires.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)