Apr 10, 2010, 1:40 PM EDT
Believe it or not, Carlos Silva actually pitched quite well in his Cubs’ debut against the Reds on Friday night, allowing just one run on three hits over six innings while fanning three and walking none. Unfortunately for him, Drew Stubbs cranked a grand slam off
rookie Esmailin Caridad in the eighth inning to spoil the solid effort.
It was quite odd that Silva was pulled after throwing just 71 pitches, but now we know that he felt some discomfort in his right shoulder. He thinks he may have tweaked it trying to make a play on a ball during the fourth inning.
According to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com, the Cubs haven’t announced when Silva will make his next start. Fortunately, because the Cubs have an off-day on Tuesday, they could simply opt to skip him in the rotation this time around. Of course, this will only delay the inevitable conclusion that Silva just isn’t a very good pitcher.
On a related note, Ted Lilly is scheduled to make a rehab start for Triple-A Iowa on Sunday. He was originally slated to pitch on Friday, however it was delayed because of a stiff back. He should return the Cubs later this month.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)