CC Sabathia throws no-hit ball through seven

Apr 10, 2010, 6:23 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for sabathiaALCS.jpgYankees ace CC Sabathia delivered 7 2/3 innings of no-hit baseball on Saturday against the Rays.  He cruised through the Tampa lineup with the the help of some excellent defensive plays and came close to making history before catcher Kelly Shoppach blooped a single to left field in the bottom of the eighth inning.

The 29-year-old Sabathia controlled his fastball and changeup with ease, tallying five strikeouts against two walks.  But with an 8-0 lead, the big man was removed immediately after the Shoppach hit.

Sabathia surrendered five earned runs and two walks over 5 1/3 innings during his 2010 debut last week against the Red Sox.  His ERA now sits at 3.46 and his WHIP stands at an impressive 0.85.

1. yankeesgameday - Apr 10, 2010 at 8:02 PM

The way CC Sabathia pitched against the Rays today you would have thought that David Price had asked his wife if he wanted to lose that bum for a real man (see the way I paid off that Clubber Lang/Rocky reference I set up earlier?). Had Price gone head to head with CC today we would have had a pitching gem for the ages.

2. YANKEES1996 - Apr 10, 2010 at 8:41 PM

I watched the entire game and from the 5th inning on I was on the edge of my seat. CC just missed it and had some great support from A-Rod and Tex. I hope Javy bounces back from his bad start as well as CC did from his. We had a good lead when Shoppach got his hit, I think Gardner should have gone after it a little harder giving up the bases or even the run would not have been that big of a deal.

3. Yankees Gameday - Apr 10, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Gardner Could Have Caught It.
    3 Videos about this here:
    Even with the top spin that will cause it to dive downward it only landed about 10 feet in front of Brett Gardner. If he took off sprinting the second it was hit, and knowing that if the ball got by him it would not affect the outcome of the game at all don’t you think he owed it to his pitcher to lay out and try to make this catch?

4. dp - Apr 11, 2010 at 1:44 AM

There was no way that any outfielder could of caught that ball. It was hit on a line, and it was sinking fast. It was also about 15 to 20 feet in front of Gardner. I’m no Gardner fan, I’ve said in the past , he’s the weak link , and will be replaced, just like last year, so far he’s making me out a liar, and I hope he continues to do so. Getting back to the hit, no one could of reached it, it was a clean hit. Give credit where it’s due.

5. Grammar Police - Apr 11, 2010 at 8:33 AM

could have, not could of

6. dp - Apr 11, 2010 at 12:17 PM

How’s this for grammar : You could have kissed my ass, does that grammar make you happy jerk off. You should get a hint , these post are not about GRAMMER, scumbag.

7. Grammar Police - Apr 11, 2010 at 12:49 PM

“[...], does that grammar make you happy jerk off. ”
    This warrants a sentence of its own and requires a question mark at the end. Also, a comma is required after the word “happy”. Something like: Does that grammar make you happy, jerk off?
    No need to write like a ten-year old just because you think like one. That can be our little secret.

8. Wendall - Apr 11, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Grammar Police, It seems your trying to piss people off. That’s not what this column is about. I don’t think anyone want to read about you and another poster throwing barbs back and fourth. It’s getting out of hand . Lets keep it friendly. P.S. If my grammar isn’t correct, I don’t want to hear about it .LOL

9. Old Gator - Apr 11, 2010 at 6:40 PM

I’m right here beside you, comrade (as opposed to, say, “right here besides you”). If you are here merely to piss people off, keep it up. I see no reason why sensitive souls like yours truly should be subjected to an as yet undisclosed number of additional years of correspondents writing as if they were on football scholarships – not when I’ve recently retired from a lo-o-o-ng stretch of teaching such beings.
    If the peanut gallery continues to become restive, you could always teach a lesson on “lie” and “lay.” Most of all, though, you could provide them with this link: http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Style-Original-William-Strunk/dp/9562916464/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271025464&sr=1-4
    Even if they don’t have the good sense to thank you for it, you’d have the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing you did good.
    Er…well.

10. Grammar Police - Apr 11, 2010 at 8:21 PM

“If you are here merely to piss people off, keep it up.”
    Thanks for the support. Semi-literacy is worn around here like a badge of honor.

11. Old Gator - Apr 11, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Around here? Ever been to a Tea Party rally?

12. Mr. Blue - Apr 11, 2010 at 10:19 PM

You and your friend, Old Asshole, are a couple of idiots. You probably both sleep with your mothers, or your daughters.

13. dp - Apr 12, 2010 at 12:08 AM

My guess is their gay, read Old Gators reply to this scumbag. “I’m right here beside you, comrade”. sounds like these two twinkies are a match made in Hell.

14. Grammar Police - Apr 12, 2010 at 7:02 AM

they’re, not their
    Gator’s, not Gators
    You probably should have given grade 4 a couple of more tries. I’m sure you would have gotten it eventually.

15. Wendall - Apr 12, 2010 at 10:11 AM

You don’t take advice very well. I wish you would take your school room teachings somewhere else. Maybe these people have exposed your dark side, and that’s firing you up. Are you gay ? or do you sleep with your mother ? You should come out of the closet, and stop annoying other posters.

16. Old Gator - Apr 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Try “Are you gay, or do you sleep with your mother?”
    Sorry, GP – just couldn’t resist. Amazing, isn’t it, how primary education can flush out the atavistics and homophobes? Perhaps they missed the last thirty years or so of social evolution, or maybe they’re just writing from Kampala.

17. Wendall - Apr 12, 2010 at 1:23 PM

You two are assholes. Enough said.

18. Grammar Police - Apr 12, 2010 at 2:27 PM

“You don’t take advice very well.”
    You mean I don’t take orders very well. Rest assured that your advice was given all the consideration it deserved.
    You trailer park types sure are an ornery lot. You really should have stayed in school.

19. Wendall - Apr 12, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Your Mother is a bigger asshole than you are for not having an abortion. Check that , if her ass was sewn up she wouldn’t of had you.

20. Old Gator - Apr 12, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Apparently Wendall doesn’t understand what “enough said” means, which of course didn’t keep him from writing it. I suspect that merely staying in school wouldn’t have helped much. Perhaps the state provided special training for cases like his in a magnet school somewhere. Pity he didn’t check it out. Ah well. Wendall, Sarah Palin is speaking somewhere near you. Toddle off now or you’ll miss out on an opportunity to tell your grandchildren that you heard her. Otherwise, they’re going to think she was a cartoon.
    GP, this thread has entered the HBT subduction zone and the denser layers are apparently heating up. I’m going inland in search of more stable strata.

21. Grammar Police - Apr 12, 2010 at 7:13 PM

“wouldn’t of had you”
    wouldn’t HAVE had you
    Have fun at the tractor pull, Jethro.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5133)