Apr 10, 2010, 6:23 PM EDT
Yankees ace CC Sabathia delivered 7 2/3 innings of no-hit baseball on Saturday against the Rays. He cruised through the Tampa lineup with the the help of some excellent defensive plays and came close to making history before catcher Kelly Shoppach blooped a single to left field in the bottom of the eighth inning.
The 29-year-old Sabathia controlled his fastball and changeup with ease, tallying five strikeouts against two walks. But with an 8-0 lead, the big man was removed immediately after the Shoppach hit.
Sabathia surrendered five earned runs and two walks over 5 1/3 innings during his 2010 debut last week against the Red Sox. His ERA now sits at 3.46 and his WHIP stands at an impressive 0.85.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 0
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)