Apr 10, 2010, 6:23 PM EDT
Yankees ace CC Sabathia delivered 7 2/3 innings of no-hit baseball on Saturday against the Rays. He cruised through the Tampa lineup with the the help of some excellent defensive plays and came close to making history before catcher Kelly Shoppach blooped a single to left field in the bottom of the eighth inning.
The 29-year-old Sabathia controlled his fastball and changeup with ease, tallying five strikeouts against two walks. But with an 8-0 lead, the big man was removed immediately after the Shoppach hit.
Sabathia surrendered five earned runs and two walks over 5 1/3 innings during his 2010 debut last week against the Red Sox. His ERA now sits at 3.46 and his WHIP stands at an impressive 0.85.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 39
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 23
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)