Apr 10, 2010, 6:23 PM EDT
Yankees ace CC Sabathia delivered 7 2/3 innings of no-hit baseball on Saturday against the Rays. He cruised through the Tampa lineup with the the help of some excellent defensive plays and came close to making history before catcher Kelly Shoppach blooped a single to left field in the bottom of the eighth inning.
The 29-year-old Sabathia controlled his fastball and changeup with ease, tallying five strikeouts against two walks. But with an 8-0 lead, the big man was removed immediately after the Shoppach hit.
Sabathia surrendered five earned runs and two walks over 5 1/3 innings during his 2010 debut last week against the Red Sox. His ERA now sits at 3.46 and his WHIP stands at an impressive 0.85.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- Who really owns a home run ball? 58
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)