Apr 10, 2010, 6:23 PM EDT
Yankees ace CC Sabathia delivered 7 2/3 innings of no-hit baseball on Saturday against the Rays. He cruised through the Tampa lineup with the the help of some excellent defensive plays and came close to making history before catcher Kelly Shoppach blooped a single to left field in the bottom of the eighth inning.
The 29-year-old Sabathia controlled his fastball and changeup with ease, tallying five strikeouts against two walks. But with an 8-0 lead, the big man was removed immediately after the Shoppach hit.
Sabathia surrendered five earned runs and two walks over 5 1/3 innings during his 2010 debut last week against the Red Sox. His ERA now sits at 3.46 and his WHIP stands at an impressive 0.85.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 7
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 30
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (198)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)