Apr 10, 2010, 6:23 PM EDT
Yankees ace CC Sabathia delivered 7 2/3 innings of no-hit baseball on Saturday against the Rays. He cruised through the Tampa lineup with the the help of some excellent defensive plays and came close to making history before catcher Kelly Shoppach blooped a single to left field in the bottom of the eighth inning.
The 29-year-old Sabathia controlled his fastball and changeup with ease, tallying five strikeouts against two walks. But with an 8-0 lead, the big man was removed immediately after the Shoppach hit.
Sabathia surrendered five earned runs and two walks over 5 1/3 innings during his 2010 debut last week against the Red Sox. His ERA now sits at 3.46 and his WHIP stands at an impressive 0.85.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)