Javier Vazquez gets rocked; commence freakout

Apr 10, 2010, 9:46 AM EDT

Vazquez Yankees.jpgThe early returns on Javier Vazquez’s to pinstripes? Deja vu all over again. He was torched for eight runs on eight hits — including two home runs — a 9-3 loss to the Rays on Friday night. I’d show you the back pages of the New York tabloids panicking and overreacting, but they are too busy talking about some Tiger guy right now.

Vazquez told the New York Daily News that Friday’s failure was a direct result of his failure to execute.

“The first three innings I was making good pitches, but after that I
wasn’t making good pitches,” Vazquez said. “With men on base I was just
rushing too much. Bottom line is I didn’t make my pitches and when you
don’t make pitches and you get the ball in the middle of the plate
they’re going to hit you hard and that’s what happened.”

I love how there’s this belief that Vazquez’s success last season was some creation of the National League East. Granted, he should see some regression with a move back to the American League, any pitcher would, but remember that Vazquez was 2-1 with a 3.00 ERA, 1.03 WHIP and a 30/9 K/BB ratio in five starts against the Phillies last season, and they’re hardly chop liver. Expecting a repeat of last season’s results would be silly, especially with his flyball rate, but I have a feeling he’s going to be just fine.

1. YANKEES1996 - Apr 10, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Everyone relax and that includes the New York newspapers, it was one start. The guy over the last few years is an innings eater and a good pitcher, he will be fine. I really hate to point this out but CC’s first outing wasn’t that great either. The Yanks have to play 162 games he will be better. Personally I would like to see him do his best pitching in October & November.

2. Joey B - Apr 10, 2010 at 12:13 PM

“I love how there’s this belief that Vazquez’s success last season was some creation of the National League East.”
    1-There have been a fair amount of pitchers that have gone to the NL and achieved considerable success. Penny, Piniero, among others, were shelled in the AL. That the AL is the superior league right now isn’t on the table for discussion.
    2-There is way too much emphasis on 2009, as if that is the standard, and that some regression from that point is target. The actual target is more likely his career in Chicago where he was 38-36 with a 4.40. After that, factor in age, ballpark, etc.

3. yankeesgameday - Apr 10, 2010 at 3:12 PM

CC Sabathia was put on notice last night that there is another power throwing dominant Lefty in the American League. David Price mowed through the Yankee lineup like Clubber Lang looking for a tussle with Rocky (yes, I just made a 30 year old Rocky reference, get used to them).
    But here comes CC today with nothing to prove to anyone, save perhaps that Tampa pitcher sitting in the dugout waiting for his turn to take on the champ.

4. Total - Apr 10, 2010 at 4:19 PM

“David Price mowed through the Yankee lineup like Clubber Lang looking for a tussle with Rocky”
    To the tune of 3 runs in 7 innings. Hold me, I’m fainting!

5. YANKEES1996 - Apr 10, 2010 at 8:28 PM

yankeesgameday – David Price was put on notice today by CC that he is far from ready to relinquish the title of the AL Easts best lefty. David Price can’t carry CC’s equipment bag on his best day!

6. Smit - Apr 12, 2010 at 3:03 PM

When did the Tigers sign someone named Woods?

7. Ryan - Apr 13, 2010 at 6:42 PM

I assure you that neither CC, nor David Price is the AL East’s “best left-handed pitcher.”

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3466)