Apr 11, 2010, 6:18 PM EDT
UPDATE: Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald says the X-rays were negative. Ellsbury only has a contusion and should be back in a few days.
6:06pm: Dan Barbarisi of the Providence Journal reports that Red Sox left fielder Jacoby Ellsbury was pulled from Sunday’s game after a collision with third baseman Adrian Beltre.
Ellsbury suffered a rib injury and will have the area X-rayed to determine if there is anything wrong structurally. He’ll be reevaluated Monday morning and we probably won’t know much about his status until then. J.D. Drew entered to play right field while Bill Hall shifted to left. Marco Scutaro’s off day was interrupted, as he had to come on and play shortstop.
Ellsbury is 10-for-30 on the season with four doubles and one RBI. He has struck out five times, but also has two stolen bases.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (221)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)