Apr 11, 2010, 2:02 PM EDT
According to the Arizona Republic’s Nick Piecoro, catcher Miguel Montero has a torn meniscus in his right knee and will need surgery.
The Diamondbacks have not revealed a recovery timetable and haven’t said when exactly the procedure will take place, but it sounds like Montero could be done for the year. Manager A.J. Hinch and Co. will be happy they hung onto Chris Snyder, who will have to man starting duties moving forward. He’s 1-for-6 thus far with a strikeout.
Montero hit .316/.366/.534 after the All-Star break last season with 11 home runs and 40 RBI in 234 at-bats. He was primed for a breakout year in 2010 and a promising fantasy sleeper according to Rotoworld’s Season Pass.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 19
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 7
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 41
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (245)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)