Apr 11, 2010, 10:24 AM EDT
Last night Frank Francisco blew his second save of the season and afterward manager Ron Washington would say only “stay tuned” when asked if he’d be sticking with the Rangers’ closer.
According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News only five pitchers in the previous five seasons blew at least two saves in the opening week, and of those five only Mariano Rivera kept the job all season.
Of course, setting aside the opening week factor plenty of closer blow two saves in a week. In fact, last year Francisco himself blew a save on June 25 and then another on July 1. And he bounced back to convert 13-of-15 save chances with 31 strikeouts and a .230 opponents’ batting average in 25.2 innings from that point forward.
However, as Grant notes Francisco’s velocity has slipped since he returned from arm problems last June and his control has been shakier than usual as well. Since returning from the disabled list last season he has a 7.39 ERA and has blown six saves in 19 chances.
Neftali Feliz certainly has a future as a closer if the Rangers decide he doesn’t have a future as a top-of-the-rotation starter, but he’s also a 21-year-old rookie with four professional saves and has yet to pitch on back-to-back days. A closer-by-committee situation headed by Feliz and Darren O’Day is also an option, but for now we’ll simply have to follow Washington’s advice and “stay tuned.”
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 17
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)