Apr 11, 2010, 5:41 PM EST
In sports we often get some of the best stories. Today, thanks to Tigers reliever Ryan Perry and MLive.com’s Steve Kornacki, we have another.
Perry, a 23-year-old promising relief prospect, recorded the first save of his young career Saturday with 1 1/3 innings of flawless pitching against the Indians. He wanted to the give the ball to his father afterward, but third baseman Brandon Inge had already tossed it to a child in the crowd. Inge didn’t realize it was Perry’s first save, and made up for the mistake by trading the young souvenir-holder an autographed bat. Ball secured, Perry then handed it to his old man.
“That was one of the highlights of my career so far,” Perry said after the Detroit victory. “I gave the ball to my dad,” Perry said. “He was pretty pumped up,
said ‘thank you’ and smiled.”
Perry has a 2.45 ERA, two holds and a 0.55 WHIP in 3 2/3 innings this season. He could take over ninth-inning duties for the Tigers once Jose Valverde’s two-year, $14 million contract runs out.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 127
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 234
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (234)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)