Apr 11, 2010, 5:41 PM EST
In sports we often get some of the best stories. Today, thanks to Tigers reliever Ryan Perry and MLive.com’s Steve Kornacki, we have another.
Perry, a 23-year-old promising relief prospect, recorded the first save of his young career Saturday with 1 1/3 innings of flawless pitching against the Indians. He wanted to the give the ball to his father afterward, but third baseman Brandon Inge had already tossed it to a child in the crowd. Inge didn’t realize it was Perry’s first save, and made up for the mistake by trading the young souvenir-holder an autographed bat. Ball secured, Perry then handed it to his old man.
“That was one of the highlights of my career so far,” Perry said after the Detroit victory. “I gave the ball to my dad,” Perry said. “He was pretty pumped up,
said ‘thank you’ and smiled.”
Perry has a 2.45 ERA, two holds and a 0.55 WHIP in 3 2/3 innings this season. He could take over ninth-inning duties for the Tigers once Jose Valverde’s two-year, $14 million contract runs out.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)