Apr 11, 2010, 5:41 PM EDT
In sports we often get some of the best stories. Today, thanks to Tigers reliever Ryan Perry and MLive.com’s Steve Kornacki, we have another.
Perry, a 23-year-old promising relief prospect, recorded the first save of his young career Saturday with 1 1/3 innings of flawless pitching against the Indians. He wanted to the give the ball to his father afterward, but third baseman Brandon Inge had already tossed it to a child in the crowd. Inge didn’t realize it was Perry’s first save, and made up for the mistake by trading the young souvenir-holder an autographed bat. Ball secured, Perry then handed it to his old man.
“That was one of the highlights of my career so far,” Perry said after the Detroit victory. “I gave the ball to my dad,” Perry said. “He was pretty pumped up,
said ‘thank you’ and smiled.”
Perry has a 2.45 ERA, two holds and a 0.55 WHIP in 3 2/3 innings this season. He could take over ninth-inning duties for the Tigers once Jose Valverde’s two-year, $14 million contract runs out.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 118
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 156
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 56
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (157)