Apr 12, 2010, 4:43 PM EDT
The AL East is down a second star second baseman after Aaron Hill was placed on the disabled list Monday because of a strained hamstring.
While Brian Roberts appeared DL bound from the moment he suffered a strained abdominal muscle, the Hill moves comes as a surprise. Expectations were that he’d be back early this week after hitting off a tee Sunday. Obviously, he didn’t feel nearly as well as hoped after arriving at the ballpark today.
With Hill sidelined, the Jays’ lack of depth will quickly become apparent. Long-time minor leaguer Mike McCoy and defensive specialist John McDonald are the fallbacks at second base.
If the team had a legitimate fourth outfielder, one could argue for putting Jose Bautista at second instead. However, that wouldn’t make any sense if it was just opening playing time for the newly recalled Jeremy Reed. McCoy figures to get most of the action for now.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 0
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 43
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 22
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 111
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 30
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 106
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 82
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (112)