Apr 12, 2010, 9:36 PM EDT
Randy Johnson was back on a mound on Monday night, throwing out the first pitch in the Seattle Mariners’ home opener against the Oakland A’s.
The future Hall of Famer, who rose to prominence in Seattle (winning the 1995 Cy Young) before moving on to win four more Cy Youngs and a World Series title with the Arizona Diamondbacks, dealt a strike to former battery mate Dan Wilson, then was joined by current Mariner Ken Griffey Jr., Wilson, and former Seattle teammates Edgar Martinez and Jay Buhner for a photo op.
But for all the excitement of the pre-game ceremony, Johnson could do nothing to stop the Mariners’ disappointing start, as they managed just two hits against Justin Duchscherer and two relievers in a 4-0 defeat.
With Cliff Lee and Erik Bedard injured, plus Ian Snell off on personal leave, the Mariners would be wise to convince the Big Unit to delay his march toward Cooperstown by one year and get back into the game.
While they’re at it, Martinez and Buhner could probably help, too.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 113
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (170)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)