Apr 12, 2010, 7:44 AM EST
Arizona unsuccessfully shopped Chris Snyder this offseason, with reports of Toronto pulling out of a swap for Lyle Overbay and Texas balking at an offer for C.J. Wilson, but suddenly the Diamondbacks have plenty of use for the former backup.
Miguel Montero suffered a torn meniscus in his right knee Saturday and the injury will require surgery, with further tests today determining the length of his absence.
Montero had a breakout 2009 season to make Snyder an afterthought in Arizona, but Snyder posted a .785 OPS as the Diamondbacks’ primary catcher from 2006-2008 and knocked in five runs with a homer and a double starting Sunday.
His batting average won’t be pretty, but Snyder has 20-homer pop and should get at least three-fourths of the starts for as long as Montero is out. John Hester is now his backup.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 30
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 30
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)