Apr 12, 2010, 2:40 PM EST
Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that David Ortiz is telling friends that his left wrist is hurting. Remember, Ortiz missed nearly two months with a torn tendon sheath in the very same wrist during the 2008 season.
The 34-year-old is just 2-for-18 (.111) with nine strikeouts to kick off the new season. He was 0-for-4 with four strikeouts against the Royals on Sunday, leaving five men on base. There’s already plenty of chatter about when he’ll be forced to platoon with the right-handed hitting Mike Lowell.
Ortiz was asked about Christensen’s report upon his arrival to Target Field on Monday. Here’s his response, via John Tomase of the Boston Herald:
“Don’t pay attention to that crap,” Ortiz said. “I’m fine. If I’d have been raking they wouldn’t be saying that.”
We’ll have to give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but it’s time to really wonder how much of a leash he’ll be given this season.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)