Apr 12, 2010, 2:40 PM EDT
Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that David Ortiz is telling friends that his left wrist is hurting. Remember, Ortiz missed nearly two months with a torn tendon sheath in the very same wrist during the 2008 season.
The 34-year-old is just 2-for-18 (.111) with nine strikeouts to kick off the new season. He was 0-for-4 with four strikeouts against the Royals on Sunday, leaving five men on base. There’s already plenty of chatter about when he’ll be forced to platoon with the right-handed hitting Mike Lowell.
Ortiz was asked about Christensen’s report upon his arrival to Target Field on Monday. Here’s his response, via John Tomase of the Boston Herald:
“Don’t pay attention to that crap,” Ortiz said. “I’m fine. If I’d have been raking they wouldn’t be saying that.”
We’ll have to give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but it’s time to really wonder how much of a leash he’ll be given this season.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)