Jerry Manuel says the Mets "appeared unprepared" for Livan Hernandez

Apr 12, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT

Even for as big a hater as I am, I would not have guessed that things would get ugly in New York as quickly as they have this season.  Yesterday Mets’ manager Jerry Manuel said “I thought we appeared unprepared and I have to take responsibility for
that. … I’m talking about having the information but not trusting it
for the most part.”

Criticize Manuel if you want, but what he’s really saying here — borne out by reports that he lit into the team behind closed doors after the game — is that he and his staff told the players to expect Livan Hernandez to throw his usual assortment of tired old junk and that no one appeared to pay any heed.

Sleeping on a guy like Livan Hernandez and/or ignoring the manager on the first Sunday game of the season? Not pretty.

1. BC - Apr 12, 2010 at 10:21 AM

. Thank God for NASCAR. I need something to watch until the NFL starts back up.

2. Old Gator - Apr 12, 2010 at 10:29 AM

On another web site that I infest, a friend reminded me gently that I’d predicted the Feesh would wind up sedimented between the Gnats and the Mutts and chided me with what to him was the obvious: that the Mutts will be lucky not to finish last. But here’s my ace in the hole: Omar Minaya and his lushly-deserving backstabber of a manager will be replaced by a couple of folks who actually know what they’re doing soon enough for the team to keep from Flushing itself, as it were. Of course there’s always a chance that Larry Beinfest will work his magic – he’s no Merlin, to be sure, but then Arthur wasn’t half the weight belt that Scrooge McLoria is – and find us someone who can get the Feesh out of the eighth, much less ninth, innings without being scaled, gutted, filleted and fried. You haul out all your prognosticative acumen in the spring but as that eminent musicologist Fats Waller has sagely observed, one never knows, do one?

3. YankeesfanLen - Apr 12, 2010 at 10:41 AM

“Things would get ugly in New York”? Only on one side of the river, Craig.
    At the very least, it would be helpful if David Wright could give 1/50th the kind of post-game interview that Curtis Granderson can. I’m happy-happy so far.

4. Josh - Apr 12, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Hey BC, don’t you have a lawnmower race to go to or something? Maybe fix that sagging in the plywood “porch” you so elegantly have on your doublewide? You seem to be on the wrong website, which is funny since all your buddies can tell you the “N” in NASCAR stands for “‘nowledgeable.”

5. Simon DelMonte - Apr 12, 2010 at 11:06 AM

I abhor the idea of firing anyone before Memorial Day. I stopped rotting for the Yankees once and for all when Yogi was fired too quickly back in the 80s (and didn’t set foot at Yankee Stadium again till he did). So it’s with a lot of discomfort that I have to wonder if Manuel might need to go, since I think he has lost his team.
    Problem is, if the team has inexplicably left the building that fast, I don’t know who you get to fix things. Or, for that matter, how this happened so fast. There is something really screwed up here.

6. Moses Green - Apr 12, 2010 at 11:28 AM

OK fine, I was baiting you with the Vineland stuff. I’m just starting Mason & Dixon.
    The only way to prepare for Livan Hernandez is to have Bartolo Colon throw BP with a wiffle ball.

7. peteinfla - Apr 12, 2010 at 12:00 PM

How much of a stretch would it be to see Bobby Valentine (the inventor of the sandwich wrap and a pretty good baseball manager too) back in Flushing? I know it is far fetched, but at least for the short term, his teams always seem to respond to him, and he knows how to handle the NY press.

8. Old Gator - Apr 12, 2010 at 12:08 PM

So by now you’ve already had a healthy giggle over how the first sentence of Mason and Dixon goofs riotously on the first sentence of the only true holy book ever written by a secularist, Gravity’s Rainbow, right?
    Oh, yeah – and stop provoking BC. He’s already got a heavy enough cross to carry.

9. BC - Apr 12, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I’d rather go to a lawnmower race than watch what is unfolding (or unravelling or whatever) in Queens. Or a rickshaw race. Or a teeth-pulling speed dentistry competition…

10. Spice - Apr 12, 2010 at 1:10 PM

I said this last year and two years ago: The Mets with Manuel as manager appear lifeless and disinterested. They do not appear focused. There is something missing on that team and I think it is leadership. Not leadership amongst the player. Leadership in the Managers office. Leadership in the front office.
    I think when a team is this lacking in energy and focus then changing Managers, even this early in the season, is warranted. The real issue I think is with ownership. Unable to pull the trigger on during the off-season and leaving the team woefully unprepared.
    Of course ownership is not going to fire itself so Manya and Manuel will and should go. Just too bad for Mets Fans that the ownership will not change for quite sometime.

11. Morgan W - Apr 12, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Try wittling a stick outside your cabin.

12. Old Gator - Apr 12, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Paradoxically, your cross will feel lighter and easier to carry once Omar Minaya and Jerry Manuel have been nailed to it.

13. BC - Apr 12, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Here’s hoping.
    Why am I pining away for Dallas Green and Joe McIlvane to reappear?

14. Old Gator - Apr 12, 2010 at 6:06 PM

If you’re going to pine, pine hard and consistently. If you let up partway through you’re going to wind up with Jeff Torborg and The Love That Dare Not Speak Its Name.
    Incidentally, it must never have occurred to Jerry that if these guys quit on a class act like WIllie Randolph, they would most probably quit on a lowlife like him too. Reminds me of the ex-captain taken along as a passenger on the tramp steamer in Son of Kong who led the mutiny against the venerable Captain Engelhorn, then got thrown overboard himself when he tried to start giving orders. Next stop is Skull Island, Jerry. Don’t feed the natives.

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2881)