Apr 12, 2010, 7:15 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Todd Zolecki of MLB.com, Rollins will undergo an MRI on his right calf on Tuesday. Meanwhile, Jayson Werth, who left Monday’s game with a sore left hip, will not need an MRI exam.
3:57 PM: Jimmy Rollins was scratched from Monday’s home opener against the Nationals due to a right calf strain, reports Todd Zolecki of MLB.com.
Rollins was originally in the starting lineup, and was even introduced as such before the game, however he apparently injured his calf while warming up in the outfield. Juan Castro took the field in the top of the first inning.
There’s no word on the severity of the injury at this time. Rollins is easily one of the hottest hitters in the National League right now, batting .391 (9-for-23) with one home run, three RBI, two stolen bases and eight runs scored over the first six games of the season.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)