Apr 12, 2010, 7:15 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Todd Zolecki of MLB.com, Rollins will undergo an MRI on his right calf on Tuesday. Meanwhile, Jayson Werth, who left Monday’s game with a sore left hip, will not need an MRI exam.
3:57 PM: Jimmy Rollins was scratched from Monday’s home opener against the Nationals due to a right calf strain, reports Todd Zolecki of MLB.com.
Rollins was originally in the starting lineup, and was even introduced as such before the game, however he apparently injured his calf while warming up in the outfield. Juan Castro took the field in the top of the first inning.
There’s no word on the severity of the injury at this time. Rollins is easily one of the hottest hitters in the National League right now, batting .391 (9-for-23) with one home run, three RBI, two stolen bases and eight runs scored over the first six games of the season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (127)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)