Apr 12, 2010, 7:15 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Todd Zolecki of MLB.com, Rollins will undergo an MRI on his right calf on Tuesday. Meanwhile, Jayson Werth, who left Monday’s game with a sore left hip, will not need an MRI exam.
3:57 PM: Jimmy Rollins was scratched from Monday’s home opener against the Nationals due to a right calf strain, reports Todd Zolecki of MLB.com.
Rollins was originally in the starting lineup, and was even introduced as such before the game, however he apparently injured his calf while warming up in the outfield. Juan Castro took the field in the top of the first inning.
There’s no word on the severity of the injury at this time. Rollins is easily one of the hottest hitters in the National League right now, batting .391 (9-for-23) with one home run, three RBI, two stolen bases and eight runs scored over the first six games of the season.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 4
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 12
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 23
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)