Johan Santana would ditch the Mets if he could

Apr 12, 2010, 1:25 PM EDT

Johan Santana dugout.jpgIan O’Connor is now a columnist for ESPN New York, but who knew that he also moonlights as Madam Ruby?

So two seasons and two starts later, after knee and elbow surgeries,
after his new team choked in Year 1, collapsed in Year 2 and finished
its sixth home game of Year 3 with a lost series to the unworthy
Nationals and a 2-4 record, I asked Santana if he regretted doing
business with the Mets.

Had his water been spiked with truth
serum, his answer would’ve sounded like this: “What do
you think?”

He goes on:

Yes, Santana has to be wondering what in the world he’s gotten himself
into. He’s only human. That voice in the back of his head is growing
louder, moving to the front, telling him he should’ve put his money on a
different horse

There are so many things wrong with this piece that I don’t even know where to begin, but I’m mostly struck by why he would use such a tired storyline after what was only Santana’s second start of the season. Why not save this kind of junk for the middle of the summer since O’Connor surely believes the Mets are destined for another fourth place finish, or worse?

Long story short, if O’Connor tells you that your missing bike is in the basement of The Alamo, promptly ask for your money back.

(Hat tip to MetsBlog for the link)

1. Mark Smith - Apr 12, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I thought it was a privilege to play in New York. Shouldn’t everyone just enjoy the bright, shining lights?

2. Simon DelMonte - Apr 12, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Speaking as a fan of ESPN’s other properties, ESPN New York is a disappointment. Rather than move beyond the inanities of the standard NYC newspaper columnist, they are reinforcing them.

3. GimmeSomeSteel - Apr 12, 2010 at 1:39 PM

The question is whether Flushing (or at least CitiField) is part of New York.

4. enough already - Apr 12, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Besides the fact that it is a little early to be throwing in the towel, wasn’t it Santana that gave up 4 runs in the 1st inning yesterday? People need to chill.

5. BC - Apr 12, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Mets’ new theme song:

6. SmackTalk - Apr 12, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Those ‘unworthy Nationals’ kicked Mets butt both Saturday and Sunday.

7. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Apr 12, 2010 at 2:04 PM

My first thought when seeing that Wally Matthews and Ian O’Connor were writing for ESPNNY was it was some sort of sick April Fools Day joke. After that I wondered if ESPN’s next choices were Jayson Blair and Selena Roberts?

8. Pandamonium - Apr 12, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Props for the Pee Wee’s Big Adventure reference.

9. Old Gator - Apr 12, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I guess it’s always been easier for so-called “feature journalists,” especially sportswriters, to tell you what someone else is thinking than to figure out what’s going on in their own brains. Maybe it’s just as well. If Shaughnessey, Lupica and Heyman are any indication, I doubt if I’d want to know anyway. At lest I can be confident that what they tell me is going on in someone else’s head is just fantasy anyway. Where is Frank Bascombe when you really need him?
    Incidentally, I make a special exception for Mike Celizic. In his gift for grotesquely extenuated metaphors – lots of them – I discern the workings of a mind full of stargates, detours around burned bridges, dimensional warps, chronosynclastic infundibula and ancient deposits of TV commercials from his childhood that occasionally send up methane bubbles, much like what goes on in my own mind.

10. Rudy Gamble - Apr 12, 2010 at 3:00 PM

It sure looks like ESPN considers its local sites to be extensions of opinion-driven talk radio vs. ESPN.com which, by and large, is straight-forward reporting or less sensationalized blogging (particularly the NFL blogs which are great and Olney/Neyer).

11. scatterbrian - Apr 12, 2010 at 3:09 PM

There’s no basement in the Alamo!

12. Steven - Apr 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Elbow issues aside, I still wish Johan was a Twin. We offered him a 5-year, $100M extension from ’08-’12, which he turned down to be a FA. I don’t blame him, per se, but maybe now he wishes he was still a Twin too!

13. YANKEES1996 - Apr 12, 2010 at 4:17 PM

It is a privilege to play in New York, just not in Queens!

14. Joey B - Apr 12, 2010 at 5:57 PM

He used to write for the Westchester paper. Pure drivel. I never, ever read anything worthwhile. But hard as it is to believe, he has apparently gotten worse. Reading minds is now a journalistic skill?
    I guess he is implying that everyone on the Mets, except for the guys under control, are second-guessing their decision? He could and probably is, marginally correct. But to post conjecture designed to create a controversy is jouralistic malpractice.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3965)