Let me tell you what you can do with your hitting streak…

Apr 12, 2010, 3:47 PM EDT

Since the Detroit broadcast team is my third least favorite from the 30 clubs and the Royals team is just blandly generic, I’ve now been subjected at least three times today to the fact that Jason Kendall has hit in every game this season.
Yeah, Jason Kendall. It’s mind-blowing.
So I check, and it’s the truth: Kendall has opened the season with a seven-game hitting streak.
Also true: Kendall has exactly one hit in all seven games. He’s yet to knock in a run. He’s yet to score a run. He does have three walks, so he actually is off to a decent start. But I’m pretty sure no one would care about that if he had two hits Saturday and none Sunday.
No, I’m not a big fan of hitting streaks.

1. cory - Apr 12, 2010 at 4:13 PM

What are you other two least favorite broadcasts?

2. Derek - Apr 12, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Now that a lot of big fans get their baseball via MLB.tv and thus have a lot of choice re: broadcasts, I’d love to see a list of the best broadcast teams in baseball. I’m sure I could narrow down my favorites eventually, but in the meantime I wouldn’t mind being a little better-informed when I click “Home” or “Away.”

3. Matthew Pouliot - Apr 12, 2010 at 4:27 PM

White Sox and Reds.
    Derek — It’s on the lis of blogs I want to do. Ideally, it’d be 1-30, but there are probably 6-8 teams I hardly ever hear and wouldn’t feel comfortable ranking.

4. Fat Ted - Apr 12, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Then you would also have everyone in their home market wanting the radio guys to be considered to. Not to discourage you though I’d love to hear, who’s doing the best job. With Harry Kalas having passed away I wouldn’t be against hearing some opposing team announcers (except Nationals, I’ve heard them plenty and do not enjoy them).

5. ecp - Apr 12, 2010 at 4:50 PM

It’s too bad that the Royals broadcast team has descended into the realm of “blandly generic.” Denny Matthews used to be so good; he’s clearly lost his mojo. And Bob Davis just blows. They could still have had Fred White around, but no…
    I listened to the Tigers radio feed today; I didn’t think they were too bad. But this is the first year I’ve had XM, so we’ll see.

6. 100.5 - Apr 12, 2010 at 4:51 PM

what’s wrong with the Reds announcers?

7. Cory - Apr 12, 2010 at 4:58 PM

White Sox is definitely the one broadcast I CANNOT listen to. I just listened to the Red’s for the first time during Leake’s debut. It wasn’t so great either.

8. Jonny Mess - Apr 12, 2010 at 5:12 PM

To be fair to the White Sox: Steve Stone is one of the great analysts in the country. He was with the Cubs, and now is with the Sox. It’s just that Hawk Harrelson’s misery is so all-enveloping.

9. Lee - Apr 12, 2010 at 5:48 PM

I’ve been a GameDay Audio subscriber for years. Some of my favorite broadcast teams:
    Giants (no doubt #1, but as a Giants fan I may be biased)
    Padres (if you don’t mind blatant homerism)
    Angels (RIP Rory Markas, but they’re still pretty good)
    A’s
    Twins
    Brewers
    Least favorite: both Chicago teams, both NY teams, Braves

10. Ryan - Apr 12, 2010 at 5:54 PM

I want to go Van Gogh on my ear canals every time I hear the phrase “He Gone!” – holy god if there isn’t a worse phrase anywhere outside of “Yankees Universe,” I don’t know what it might be.

11. scatterbrian - Apr 12, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Oh man, I rejoiced this weekend when I learned that Rex Hudler and Steve Physioc were replaced by Victor Rojas and Mark Gubicza. It was refreshing listening to two guys talking about the visiting team as though they had actually read a little about said team. Not to mention the reduced rah-rah nature that saturated previous Angels telecasts.

12. Alex - Apr 12, 2010 at 8:38 PM

I can’t imagine how bad those broadcast teams are if you believe they are worse than John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman. It is pathetic that the most storied franchise in sport allows these 2 vapid fools to collect paychecks and bore fans 162 times a year (plus playoffs).

13. Tim - Apr 13, 2010 at 1:16 AM

I actually liked the the KC duo when I watched them this weekend (I’m a Sox fan, sorry). I thought they brought up several points that many other announcers would pass over and didn’t over sell the upcoming promotions. Sometimes they got a little too giggly, but compared to Hawk Harrelson, the John Sterlings, and a few of the similar ilk, they were gold and rather pleasant.
    Now if only they could clone Vin Sculley.

14. Ron - Apr 13, 2010 at 3:20 AM

Frank White and Paul Splittorff go a good job of analysis, but without taking it too seriously. Although you can tell that they must have been told to tone down the criticism.
    That’s the problem with Lefebre (?). He is such an obvious homer that it’s really irritating to listen to. Not in the way Ken Harrelson is. He roots for the team, but will provide honest analysis.
    According to Lefebre, the Royals are the greatest team in history and don’t make any mistakes at all, and its incomprehensible to him how they lose so many games. He refuses to criticize any move that Moore and Hillman make, and when Betancourt and Kendall are starters, he should be on them before first pitch.
    I’m not talking about a hatchet job. Just honest analysis.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5037)