Apr 12, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
Early on in spring training the Rangers were deciding whether to use Neftali Feliz as a starter or a reliever, but suddenly the 22-year-old phenom has been thrust into the closer role following two blown saves from Frank Francisco.
Ron Washington made it clear that the switch is intended to be short term, saying: “We need to give him some time to get things together. Frankie will be the closer for the Texas Rangers.”
Francisco began last year by converting 11-of-11 save chances in 17.2 scoreless innings, but since then he has a 7.22 ERA in 33.2 innings while blowing six saves in 20 chances. Between arm problems and extreme fly-ball tendencies Francisco is hardly reliable even if he reclaims the gig and if Feliz ends up staying in the bullpen long term he’s destined for ninth-inning duties eventually anyway.
In other words, don’t presume they’ll switch back.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)