Apr 12, 2010, 6:37 PM EDT
UPDATE: Don’t count on seeing Roberts return after the minimum. Roberts will have to rest for 4-5 days after undergoing another epidural
injection in his back on Monday, according to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com. Team doctors believe Roberts re-aggravated his back on the very same slide where he suffered an abdominal strain last Friday.
11:54 AM: The Orioles have finally decided to place Brian Roberts on the 15-day disabled list, reports MLB.com’s Brittany Ghiroli.
The Baltimore second baseman suffered an abdominal strain during Friday’s game against the Blue Jays and did not see any playing time this weekend. He is 2-for-14 through four games this season with a double and a run scored. The move was made retroactive to April 10, so he will be eligible to return before the end of the month and is expected to do just that.
The Orioles called up infielder Justin Turner almost immediately after Roberts was injured and he’s expected to get a few starts at second base over the next two weeks. Julio Lugo, also 2-for-14 in four games this season, will benefit the most.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 6
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)