Apr 12, 2010, 6:37 PM EDT
UPDATE: Don’t count on seeing Roberts return after the minimum. Roberts will have to rest for 4-5 days after undergoing another epidural
injection in his back on Monday, according to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com. Team doctors believe Roberts re-aggravated his back on the very same slide where he suffered an abdominal strain last Friday.
11:54 AM: The Orioles have finally decided to place Brian Roberts on the 15-day disabled list, reports MLB.com’s Brittany Ghiroli.
The Baltimore second baseman suffered an abdominal strain during Friday’s game against the Blue Jays and did not see any playing time this weekend. He is 2-for-14 through four games this season with a double and a run scored. The move was made retroactive to April 10, so he will be eligible to return before the end of the month and is expected to do just that.
The Orioles called up infielder Justin Turner almost immediately after Roberts was injured and he’s expected to get a few starts at second base over the next two weeks. Julio Lugo, also 2-for-14 in four games this season, will benefit the most.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 60
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)