Apr 12, 2010, 9:45 PM EDT
After the Twins’ win over the Red Sox this afternoon Joe Mauer was asked by a Boston newspaper writer if he gave any thought to playing for a “big market” team before inking an eight-year, $184 million contract extension with the Twins last month.
His straightforward response made me smile: “I didn’t wanna go anywhere, that’s why I signed.”
Having Mauer in Minnesota through 2018 is pretty damn nice for Twins fans, but almost as nice is not having to hear about the Yankees and Red Sox lusting after him during his walk year.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 68
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 45
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 106