Apr 12, 2010, 9:45 PM EST
After the Twins’ win over the Red Sox this afternoon Joe Mauer was asked by a Boston newspaper writer if he gave any thought to playing for a “big market” team before inking an eight-year, $184 million contract extension with the Twins last month.
His straightforward response made me smile: “I didn’t wanna go anywhere, that’s why I signed.”
Having Mauer in Minnesota through 2018 is pretty damn nice for Twins fans, but almost as nice is not having to hear about the Yankees and Red Sox lusting after him during his walk year.
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 14
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)