Apr 12, 2010, 9:45 PM EDT
After the Twins’ win over the Red Sox this afternoon Joe Mauer was asked by a Boston newspaper writer if he gave any thought to playing for a “big market” team before inking an eight-year, $184 million contract extension with the Twins last month.
His straightforward response made me smile: “I didn’t wanna go anywhere, that’s why I signed.”
Having Mauer in Minnesota through 2018 is pretty damn nice for Twins fans, but almost as nice is not having to hear about the Yankees and Red Sox lusting after him during his walk year.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 2
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 122
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (132)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)