Apr 12, 2010, 9:01 PM EDT
Ron Gardenhire said before this afternoon’s Target Field opener that he was glad the Twins had Carl Pavano lined up for the start because the 34-year-old right-hander had pitched for the Marlins in the World Series and on a big stage with the Yankees.
Yankees fans who watched his forgettable five-year stint in New York will probably get a chuckle out of that notion and it seems far-fetched to me too, but there’s denying how well Pavano has pitched since joining the Twins in the middle of last season.
Acquired from the Indians in early August for mid-level pitching prospect Yohan Pino, Pavano tossed six innings of one-run ball against the Red Sox today and is now 7-4 with a 4.15 ERA and 69/17 K/BB ratio in 86.2 innings for the Twins. He also pitched well in his lone playoff start last October, holding the Yankees to a pair of runs over seven innings in a tough loss.
Pavano’s name will forever bring up bad memories for Yankees fans and because of that he’ll probably never live down the reputation for being an oft-injured disappointment, but he hasn’t missed a start since 2008 and has reemerged as a very solid mid-rotation starter. Regardless of the size of the stage.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 2
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 17
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 25
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)