Apr 12, 2010, 9:01 PM EDT
Ron Gardenhire said before this afternoon’s Target Field opener that he was glad the Twins had Carl Pavano lined up for the start because the 34-year-old right-hander had pitched for the Marlins in the World Series and on a big stage with the Yankees.
Yankees fans who watched his forgettable five-year stint in New York will probably get a chuckle out of that notion and it seems far-fetched to me too, but there’s denying how well Pavano has pitched since joining the Twins in the middle of last season.
Acquired from the Indians in early August for mid-level pitching prospect Yohan Pino, Pavano tossed six innings of one-run ball against the Red Sox today and is now 7-4 with a 4.15 ERA and 69/17 K/BB ratio in 86.2 innings for the Twins. He also pitched well in his lone playoff start last October, holding the Yankees to a pair of runs over seven innings in a tough loss.
Pavano’s name will forever bring up bad memories for Yankees fans and because of that he’ll probably never live down the reputation for being an oft-injured disappointment, but he hasn’t missed a start since 2008 and has reemerged as a very solid mid-rotation starter. Regardless of the size of the stage.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)