Apr 12, 2010, 8:25 PM EDT
We’ve had a rash of injury updates today. Here’s another one, via Carrie Muskat of MLB.com. Derrek Lee underwent precautionary X-rays on his right thumb after leaving Monday’s home opener against the Brewers.
“[Lee] hit a ball that jarred his finger a little bit so we got him out
of the ballgame,” Cubs manager Lou Piniella said. “He had some swelling
Lee originally suffered the injury last Wednesday against the Braves when he jammed his thumb into second base on a slide. Fortunately, the results were negative and he is currently listed as day-to-day.
The 34-year-old first baseman is 8-for-22 (.364) with one home run and four RBI to begin the new season. He just entered the final year of a five-year, $65 million extension with Chicago.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 5
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (250)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)