Apr 12, 2010, 8:25 PM EDT
We’ve had a rash of injury updates today. Here’s another one, via Carrie Muskat of MLB.com. Derrek Lee underwent precautionary X-rays on his right thumb after leaving Monday’s home opener against the Brewers.
“[Lee] hit a ball that jarred his finger a little bit so we got him out
of the ballgame,” Cubs manager Lou Piniella said. “He had some swelling
Lee originally suffered the injury last Wednesday against the Braves when he jammed his thumb into second base on a slide. Fortunately, the results were negative and he is currently listed as day-to-day.
The 34-year-old first baseman is 8-for-22 (.364) with one home run and four RBI to begin the new season. He just entered the final year of a five-year, $65 million extension with Chicago.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)