Apr 12, 2010, 8:25 PM EDT
We’ve had a rash of injury updates today. Here’s another one, via Carrie Muskat of MLB.com. Derrek Lee underwent precautionary X-rays on his right thumb after leaving Monday’s home opener against the Brewers.
“[Lee] hit a ball that jarred his finger a little bit so we got him out
of the ballgame,” Cubs manager Lou Piniella said. “He had some swelling
Lee originally suffered the injury last Wednesday against the Braves when he jammed his thumb into second base on a slide. Fortunately, the results were negative and he is currently listed as day-to-day.
The 34-year-old first baseman is 8-for-22 (.364) with one home run and four RBI to begin the new season. He just entered the final year of a five-year, $65 million extension with Chicago.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)