Jay Bruce apologizes for obscene gesture

Apr 13, 2010, 6:30 PM EST

Jay Bruce.jpgJay Bruce was caught on camera making an obscene gesture to teammates following a second-inning double against the Marlins on Monday night. If you’re all grown up, go ahead and check out the screengrab over at Deadspin.

Naturally, it didn’t take Bruce very long to issue a pretty heartfelt apology for the incident, via Mark Sheldon of MLB.com.

“It’s not a laughing matter, obviously,” Bruce said. “It’s one of the
more stupid things I had ever done. It was an honest mistake. I wasn’t
mad at anyone. It was a kidding around thing but nonetheless, it was a
mistake. It shouldn’t happen. I have to be more professional than that. I
want to apologize to the fans, my team, ownership, everyone who
supports me. I forgot where I was for a second.”

This is no excuse, really, but keep in mind that he entered the night mired in an 0-for-17 funk, so he was obviously replying to some playful ribbing from the dugout. Again, doesn’t make it right, but in a world of Milton Bradley’s, I’m plenty willing to give Bruce a pass.

1. Levi Stahl - Apr 13, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Hell, if that’s one of the most stupid things he’s ever done, then he’s got really good judgment in general.

2. John - Apr 13, 2010 at 11:24 PM

If he’s just joking then what’s the problem? The camera caught him at the wrong time. Whenever an infielder makes an error and yells the F word afterward he doesn’t get fined even if the camera’s on him, even though all the kids at home can see what he’s saying.

3. Route36West - Apr 14, 2010 at 4:15 AM

Stop being so sensitive. Yeah I guess he shouldnt do it where children can see but besides that its harmless. I dont think theres anything wrong with it besides the kids part. Like you said if your all grown up go look at it so lets be grown up and admitt its nothing but a finger. EVERYONE does it either in anger or in jest so who cares.
    The guy doesnt need to make an appology and especially not a heart felt one.

4. Ron - Apr 14, 2010 at 4:58 AM

Just so I understand the philosphy of Hardball Talk (the first site I read every morning, by the way), a guy in his early 20’s who spends his working time playing a game, for which the locker room mentality is well-known, is wrong for using a “gesture” directed at a teammate (and not fans) in the spirt of fun.
    Yet posting a video of a dog crapping on the field is within the limits of accepatable journalism, and good taste?
    Is that really the philosphy of Hardball Talk? That watching a dog crap is less offensive than a harmless gesture?

5. Old Gator - Apr 14, 2010 at 8:00 AM

We don’t agree on something all that often, so when we do, any objection if I break out the champagne?
    Replying to Route36west: Heh heh, and when was the last time you listened to two ten year olds fighting over a Tonka dumptruck in the sandbox? If they were ballplayers, Bud Light would suspend them for ten games each. Let’s face it, between cable TV, digital downloads of hipcrap and grunge lyrics, the carpool mom flicking birds at moron drivers formerly from a large island just to our south which shall remain nameless who cut her off on the Palmetto Expressway, listening to mommy and daddy fighting in the kitchen over their credit card bills and wardrobe malfunctions at the Super Bowl, it’s only the old, xenophobic and ignored who still make any kind of big deal over stuff like a bird.

6. (Not That) Tom - Apr 14, 2010 at 8:05 AM

Everyone poops. Even dogs.

7. Ron - Apr 14, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Dom or Bollinger?

8. IdahoMariner - Apr 14, 2010 at 3:44 PM

which is why I really don’t care about Milton Bradley doing it last week (which D.J. seems to be upset about still) … he did it after four innings of pretty relentless taunting from the fans, then made a nice play and then gave them the bird in exactly the same spirit with which Jay gave a double salute to his teammates — and with a similar smile. I don’t want my kid to see it, but it happens, and she will, so I don’t see why Bruce gets a pass and MB doesn’t. Yeah, he’s a head case…but he’s been okay this year, let it go already.
    recaptcha: fatal mean

9. Kylie - Jun 10, 2010 at 1:00 PM

We live in America, you see something like that everyday. Why does everyone have to attack him? And everyone says, “There were kids who saw that!” There only excuse is ‘kids’. Well, think about it, if your kid goes to a public school, they’ve seen WAY worse. Jay’s still a great player & you don’t have to be so judgemental about every little thing!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester