Apr 13, 2010, 6:30 PM EST
Jay Bruce was caught on camera making an obscene gesture to teammates following a second-inning double against the Marlins on Monday night. If you’re all grown up, go ahead and check out the screengrab over at Deadspin.
Naturally, it didn’t take Bruce very long to issue a pretty heartfelt apology for the incident, via Mark Sheldon of MLB.com.
“It’s not a laughing matter, obviously,” Bruce said. “It’s one of the
more stupid things I had ever done. It was an honest mistake. I wasn’t
mad at anyone. It was a kidding around thing but nonetheless, it was a
mistake. It shouldn’t happen. I have to be more professional than that. I
want to apologize to the fans, my team, ownership, everyone who
supports me. I forgot where I was for a second.”
This is no excuse, really, but keep in mind that he entered the night mired in an 0-for-17 funk, so he was obviously replying to some playful ribbing from the dugout. Again, doesn’t make it right, but in a world of Milton Bradley’s, I’m plenty willing to give Bruce a pass.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)