Apr 13, 2010, 6:30 PM EST
Jay Bruce was caught on camera making an obscene gesture to teammates following a second-inning double against the Marlins on Monday night. If you’re all grown up, go ahead and check out the screengrab over at Deadspin.
Naturally, it didn’t take Bruce very long to issue a pretty heartfelt apology for the incident, via Mark Sheldon of MLB.com.
“It’s not a laughing matter, obviously,” Bruce said. “It’s one of the
more stupid things I had ever done. It was an honest mistake. I wasn’t
mad at anyone. It was a kidding around thing but nonetheless, it was a
mistake. It shouldn’t happen. I have to be more professional than that. I
want to apologize to the fans, my team, ownership, everyone who
supports me. I forgot where I was for a second.”
This is no excuse, really, but keep in mind that he entered the night mired in an 0-for-17 funk, so he was obviously replying to some playful ribbing from the dugout. Again, doesn’t make it right, but in a world of Milton Bradley’s, I’m plenty willing to give Bruce a pass.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 43
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 119
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (117)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)