Apr 13, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
Jay Bruce was caught on camera making an obscene gesture to teammates following a second-inning double against the Marlins on Monday night. If you’re all grown up, go ahead and check out the screengrab over at Deadspin.
Naturally, it didn’t take Bruce very long to issue a pretty heartfelt apology for the incident, via Mark Sheldon of MLB.com.
“It’s not a laughing matter, obviously,” Bruce said. “It’s one of the
more stupid things I had ever done. It was an honest mistake. I wasn’t
mad at anyone. It was a kidding around thing but nonetheless, it was a
mistake. It shouldn’t happen. I have to be more professional than that. I
want to apologize to the fans, my team, ownership, everyone who
supports me. I forgot where I was for a second.”
This is no excuse, really, but keep in mind that he entered the night mired in an 0-for-17 funk, so he was obviously replying to some playful ribbing from the dugout. Again, doesn’t make it right, but in a world of Milton Bradley’s, I’m plenty willing to give Bruce a pass.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 44
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 60
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)