Apr 13, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
Jay Bruce was caught on camera making an obscene gesture to teammates following a second-inning double against the Marlins on Monday night. If you’re all grown up, go ahead and check out the screengrab over at Deadspin.
Naturally, it didn’t take Bruce very long to issue a pretty heartfelt apology for the incident, via Mark Sheldon of MLB.com.
“It’s not a laughing matter, obviously,” Bruce said. “It’s one of the
more stupid things I had ever done. It was an honest mistake. I wasn’t
mad at anyone. It was a kidding around thing but nonetheless, it was a
mistake. It shouldn’t happen. I have to be more professional than that. I
want to apologize to the fans, my team, ownership, everyone who
supports me. I forgot where I was for a second.”
This is no excuse, really, but keep in mind that he entered the night mired in an 0-for-17 funk, so he was obviously replying to some playful ribbing from the dugout. Again, doesn’t make it right, but in a world of Milton Bradley’s, I’m plenty willing to give Bruce a pass.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 43
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 56
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 48
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)