Apr 13, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
Jay Bruce was caught on camera making an obscene gesture to teammates following a second-inning double against the Marlins on Monday night. If you’re all grown up, go ahead and check out the screengrab over at Deadspin.
Naturally, it didn’t take Bruce very long to issue a pretty heartfelt apology for the incident, via Mark Sheldon of MLB.com.
“It’s not a laughing matter, obviously,” Bruce said. “It’s one of the
more stupid things I had ever done. It was an honest mistake. I wasn’t
mad at anyone. It was a kidding around thing but nonetheless, it was a
mistake. It shouldn’t happen. I have to be more professional than that. I
want to apologize to the fans, my team, ownership, everyone who
supports me. I forgot where I was for a second.”
This is no excuse, really, but keep in mind that he entered the night mired in an 0-for-17 funk, so he was obviously replying to some playful ribbing from the dugout. Again, doesn’t make it right, but in a world of Milton Bradley’s, I’m plenty willing to give Bruce a pass.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)