Apr 13, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
Mark Saxon of ESPNLosAngeles.com reports that a 39-year-old man committed suicide this morning by jumping off the 42nd floor of the hotel where the Angels are staying in New York.
According to Saxon “about 15 players witnessed the aftermath of the apparent suicide when they walked out the front door of Le Parker Meridien hotel to board the team bus” and the New York Daily News reports that Jered Weaver witnessed the actual fall while at a coffee shop across the street.
“It’s obviously traumatic when you witness something like that, but these guys understand the privilege of playing baseball,” manager Mike Scioscia said. “I think when something like that happens, it just reinforces how lucky we are. I don’t know anything about the guy, but obviously something was troubling him.”
Police told the Daily News that the man wasn’t actually staying at the hotel as a guest, but rather came in asking to see the pool that’s located on the top floor.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 33
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 31
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 45
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32