Marlins prospect goes shopping for toilet paper, ends up stopping a purse snatching

Apr 13, 2010, 12:44 PM EST

Marlins pitching prospect and 2008 fourth-round pick Curt Petersen is playing Single-A ball in North Carolina this season and was shopping at a local Walmart last week when he spotted a man stealing a woman’s purse.
Here’s more of the story from the Greensboro News Record:

April Dixon, told police she had stopped to get school supplies when she was attacked by Andrew F. Conrad Jr.

“This guy came up behind her and grabbed her purse and her keys,” Petersen said. “She was yelling, ‘Help! Help! Help!’ I thought maybe it was just a joke. I thought maybe they were messing around. But then she got knocked down, and I knew it wasn’t a joke.”

Petersen said he dropped his things, ran to Dixon’s car and grabbed Conrad before he could get in. “I was like, ‘What are you doing?’ And he said, ‘I’m taking her car.’ And I was like, ‘No, you’re not,'” Petersen said. “I had a hold of him, and he threw the keys back to the lady and said, ‘All right, all right, just let me go.’ And I said, ‘I don’t think so.'”

Petersen said a crowd gathered, including Walmart employees, and they detained Conrad until police arrived.

But wait, it gets way better because here’s my favorite quote from Petersen: “I just went to the Walmart for toilet paper, and then all this happens.”
Petersen made his season debut last night for the Greensboro Grasshoppers and allowed two runs in five innings, with the woman whose purse he saved in attendance.

1. IdahoMariner - Apr 13, 2010 at 1:33 PM

awesome story! I hope the Marlins, the Grasshoppers and MLB give him some attention for this.
    also awesome, given the context of this story:
    recaptcha: interfere rapacity

2. Old Gator - Apr 13, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Aaron, enjoy that quote while it lasts. By the time he gets up here to Macondo, the spin coaches will have gotten to him and “I just went to the Walmart for toilet paper, and then all this happens” will become “I just want to help the team in any way I can.” Nuke lives.

3. electric - Apr 13, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Aren’t you supposed to yell “Fire!” instead of help, because sometimes (obviously not here) no one will respond to it, but if you yell fire everyone will?

4. Charles Gates - Apr 13, 2010 at 2:11 PM

If he got shot or injured, I bet the Marlins would have released him rather than pay his non baseball related medical expenses.

5. (Not That) Tom - Apr 13, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Conrad really doesn’t sound like much of a prospect. One hit and he was caught stealing in his season debut.

6. Old Gator - Apr 13, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Yep. After deducting the cost of having the dry cleaner repair the bullethole in his team undershirt.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. H. Ramirez (4405)