Apr 13, 2010, 12:44 PM EDT
Marlins pitching prospect and 2008 fourth-round pick Curt Petersen is playing Single-A ball in North Carolina this season and was shopping at a local Walmart last week when he spotted a man stealing a woman’s purse.
Here’s more of the story from the Greensboro News Record:
April Dixon, told police she had stopped to get school supplies when she was attacked by Andrew F. Conrad Jr.
“This guy came up behind her and grabbed her purse and her keys,” Petersen said. “She was yelling, ‘Help! Help! Help!’ I thought maybe it was just a joke. I thought maybe they were messing around. But then she got knocked down, and I knew it wasn’t a joke.”
Petersen said he dropped his things, ran to Dixon’s car and grabbed Conrad before he could get in. “I was like, ‘What are you doing?’ And he said, ‘I’m taking her car.’ And I was like, ‘No, you’re not,'” Petersen said. “I had a hold of him, and he threw the keys back to the lady and said, ‘All right, all right, just let me go.’ And I said, ‘I don’t think so.'”
Petersen said a crowd gathered, including Walmart employees, and they detained Conrad until police arrived.
But wait, it gets way better because here’s my favorite quote from Petersen: “I just went to the Walmart for toilet paper, and then all this happens.”
Petersen made his season debut last night for the Greensboro Grasshoppers and allowed two runs in five innings, with the woman whose purse he saved in attendance.
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 16
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 1
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 10
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)