Apr 13, 2010, 12:44 PM EST
Marlins pitching prospect and 2008 fourth-round pick Curt Petersen is playing Single-A ball in North Carolina this season and was shopping at a local Walmart last week when he spotted a man stealing a woman’s purse.
Here’s more of the story from the Greensboro News Record:
April Dixon, told police she had stopped to get school supplies when she was attacked by Andrew F. Conrad Jr.
“This guy came up behind her and grabbed her purse and her keys,” Petersen said. “She was yelling, ‘Help! Help! Help!’ I thought maybe it was just a joke. I thought maybe they were messing around. But then she got knocked down, and I knew it wasn’t a joke.”
Petersen said he dropped his things, ran to Dixon’s car and grabbed Conrad before he could get in. “I was like, ‘What are you doing?’ And he said, ‘I’m taking her car.’ And I was like, ‘No, you’re not,’” Petersen said. “I had a hold of him, and he threw the keys back to the lady and said, ‘All right, all right, just let me go.’ And I said, ‘I don’t think so.’”
Petersen said a crowd gathered, including Walmart employees, and they detained Conrad until police arrived.
But wait, it gets way better because here’s my favorite quote from Petersen: “I just went to the Walmart for toilet paper, and then all this happens.”
Petersen made his season debut last night for the Greensboro Grasshoppers and allowed two runs in five innings, with the woman whose purse he saved in attendance.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)