Orlando Hudson suggests racism is the reason Jermaine Dye doesn't have a job

Apr 13, 2010, 7:40 AM EDT

Yahoo!’s Jeff Passan and Orlando Hudson spoke yesterday about this Thursday’s Jackie Robinson Day and about the still-unemployed Jermaine Dye. Culture warriors: let’s get ready to rumble:

You’ve got some guys who miss a year who can come back and get $5, $6
million, and a guy like Jermaine Dye can’t get a job. A guy like Gary Sheffield,
a first-ballot Hall of Famer, can’t get a job . . . We both know what it is. You’ll get it right. You’ll figure it out.
I’m not gonna say it because then I’ll be in [trouble] . . . Call it what you want to. I ain’t fit to say it. After I
retire I’ll say it. I’ve got a whole bunch of stuff to say after I
retire.”

Many will immediately dismiss this, especially in light of the news that Dye received — and rejected — yet another offer recently, this time from the Washington Nationals. Before doing so, it’s worth reading Passan’s take which, while not endorsing Hudson’s views on the merits, puts them in context. The upshot: Hudson is not a lone nut crying racism here. There are others who have done so recently, and it’s reflective of a chasm of perception between black ballplayers and the game’s power structure that needs to be addressed.  It’s a good point.

As for the merits, personally I’m an Occam’s Razor guy. I don’t think it’s as clean or easy to explain Jermaine Dye’s unemployment as a racist thing as I think it is to explain it within the context of a set of financial realities in baseball that (a) has severely depressed the value of aging sluggers with little defensive value like Dye; and (b) may, depending on who you believe, have a collusive element to it all.  Jim Edmonds and Mike Sweeney have jobs and Jermaine Dye doesn’t, but I suspect that has less to do with race than the fact that Jim Edmonds and Mike Sweeney were willing to take $850K and $650K, respectively, and Jermaine Dye is not.

Not that I think the financial aspects to all of this will be seriously considered as talk radio guys rush to pillory Orlando Hudson of being the second baseman who cried racism.

1. Joey B - Apr 13, 2010 at 2:50 PM

“There is absolutely no proof that blacks are across the board faster than whites (even as a black dude I’m offended by that stereotype).”
    Okay, how many white sprinters are there on the Olympic team? Go back 20 years for a good sample size. If the teams are predominantly black, then would you accept that as judgement that the fastest guys in the US are black? Or are whites being discriminated against on the sprint teams?
    You can deny it all you want, but let’s see if you have any proof. I’ll wait.

2. YANKEES1996 - Apr 13, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Lets just call this the way it is and leave race out of the discussion. Jermaine Dye is not playing baseball because no one needs an aged outfielder with a limited range and moderate bat. It seems that he also is not motivated to play for the Nationals (good for him). When someone gets injured or the all-star break comes around his phone may ring. Someone explain why Orlando Hudson felt it necessary to make race comment about something that does not concern him in the first place.

3. madhatters - Apr 13, 2010 at 3:20 PM

There is no proof to say a race is smarter, more athletic, better parents, etc, etc.
    Historically white males have been excellent distance runners, so are blacks. Whites may be the majority in pitching but what about hispanic and asian players.
    -People say black people eat more chicken than others. Does that mean black people as a whole like chicken more than white people??
    There are more white cops. More white doctors, lawyers, finance workers. What does that mean? Does it mean that white people are necessarily better suited for the job? Or does it mean that something in the person’s upbringing (and the typical upbringing of a white person) that lends itself to them becoming doctors, lawyers, etc.?
    Is it race that determines positions or the sports people play or is it upbringing and training? Jeremy Bloom was the fastest guy in the NFL two years ago and he was a white skier from Colorado.
    How about the speed skaters this winter? The most medals went to two skaters; One was part asian and one was 100% black in a sport typically dominated by white people. Jerome Ignilia is one of the best hockey players in the world (and shhh he’s black)
    It has more to do with accessibility, what is perceived as acceptable (or “cool) as a child. Why are there more white tennis players (golfers, swimmers, etc) than blacks? Most likely because as children blacks typically don’t train for those sports. They don’t have access to pools, tennis courts, etc.

4. Adam - Apr 13, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Why do these discussions always break down to this level of literary trash? THE BOTTOM LINE HERE IS THAT IF A TEAM OUT THERE THOUGHT JERMAINE DYE WOULD BENEFIT THEIR TEAM, THEY WOULD MAKE HIM AN OFFER. ACCORDING THE ARTICLE, HE HAS TURNED DOWN SAID OFFERS WHICH IS TO HIS OWN DETRIMENT. Stop with this bogus “race” argument about blacks and whites and who’s faster, and what not. It’s all meaningless. The fact of the matter is that Jermaine Dye feel entitled to a higher contract than what he is being offered when the market will not support it in reality. The reason Atkins, et.al. have jobs is because they took the contract that was offered them. Dye happened to be in the stratosphere contract-wise (much the same as Sheffield btw) and so playing for merely a couple of Million a year seems like peanuts to them. There’s nothing to figure out here, Dye is just a whiny baby because no one wants to pay for someone who has terrible second-halfs and can’t play defense.

5. Charles Gates - Apr 13, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Madhatters, you’re my favorite internet person of the day.

6. madhatters - Apr 13, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Why do these discussions always break down to this level of literary trash?
    Haha, too many big words for you? So I don’t really see a point in arguing the inane comments by Orlando Hudson I’d rather argue what’s behind his comments and the comments on this page.
    btw: my name’s Adam too. Us dudes gotta stick together

7. Joey B - Apr 13, 2010 at 4:49 PM

“-Your basing your “facts” on perception. I’m not calling you a racist, but your belief is based on racial stereotypes.
    …..
    It’s not as simple as looking on TV and making determinations based on what you see. There are too many exceptions to your point And facts do NOT have exceptions.”
    How is my belief is based on racial stereotypes? Either the fastest people in this country are black, or they aren’t black. This is not open to question. If it’s 50/50, then whites are as fast as blacks. If 95% of the fastest guys are whites, then whites are faster. If 95% of the fastest guys are blacks, then blacks are faster. It is not perception. It is not a judgement or value call.
    It’s not like acting or management skills where a person’s assessment can be impacted by conscious or subconscious racism. It is okay to believe that people are created equal, without necessarily believing that all people are identical. It is impossible. It is impossible for Japanese, living on an island 5000 miles away, to be the same identical height as Americans. And they aren’t, they are shorter. If you can accept that the Japanese are shorter, why can’t you accept that other physical characteristics are different also?

8. Joey B - Apr 13, 2010 at 4:56 PM

“-I’m not disagreeing with you entirely. There are: more white pitchers than any other race. There are more (American) black sprinters than any other race. But it doesn’t mean you can make sweeping judgements about the reasons behind it.”
    I make no judgement about the reasons, and said so in my first post. It doesn’t matter to me why blacks are faster. When my team drafts a corner, I want the best corner. Because blacks are faster, and at the risk of starting another debate, marginally larger, then most of the best corners are going to be black.
    It’s got no impact past that. It doesn’t affect my judgement for better or worse of either race. I simply need to have the best CB. All the sociology issues can be resolved elsewhere. The best Raiders teams had Hayes and Haynes. I loved those guys. Trying to explain to me that blacks aren’t faster gets trumped by the fact that these guys are simply better than their white couterparts.

9. Joey B - Apr 13, 2010 at 5:07 PM

” I wouldn’t be shocked if the offers he was getting were substantially lower than equal players of a fairer skin ton.
    But I agree entirely if a former gold glove cf like Jim Edmonds is playing ball for less than a $mill than Jermaine Dye, Sheff, or Hudson have no reason to complain”
    I think it is really that simple.
    Thome had a .847 OPS last year and .896 over three years.
    Dye had a .793 last year and .830 over three years.
    If you didn’t know the colors or the names, which one would you want? It’s really not very complicated if you look at numbers and not race.

10. A. Woodson - Apr 13, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Please, come on, spare me… Not this shit again. All athletes are on steroids, especially in baseball and football. Athletes that participate in these sports are a bunch of plain motherfuckers.

11. Raffy - Apr 15, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Orlando Hudson is talking out his ass. Sounds like he is still bitter from last season when he couldn’t find a job until late the in the off-season.
    There is no way that GMs/coaches, etc are sitting there thinking “Well, we can really use a right-handed bat off the bench”
    “Hey, how bout Jermaine Dye?”
    “No, I don’t want him – he’s black!”
    That is ludicrous. While there is certainly still racism in this world, and perhaps even in baseball, it is money that makes this game tick. Plain and simple. If Dye would take the salary that teams thought he deserved based on his eroding skills, he’d have a job. Watching Dye turn down offers, it is silly to proclaim that he doesn’t have a job because of the color of his skin.
    And comparing him to Gary Sheffield? Sheffield is old and an ass. You don’t see people arguing that Kevin Brown doesn’t have a job just because he is white. Kevin Brown got old, lost his skills/got hurt and is a prick, thus no more jobs.
    Aging players with giant egos and fading skills are not worth the risk if they are assholes. (Dye is not, but Sheffield is). Lame comparison, O-Dog.

12. raffy - Apr 15, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Braden Looper won 14 games last year, but doesn’t have a job yet! Something fishy is going on here! Is it because he is black? Lets ask Orlando Hudson!

13. Rick Jelley - Apr 18, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Because Orlando Hudson is full of shit!

14. emmett scott - May 24, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Hey Guys
    Look at Dye statistic report just tell me if he worth more or not
    let your conscience and statistical report be your guide

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win