Apr 13, 2010, 4:45 PM EST
The Rays on Tuesday placed their new catcher, Kelly Shoppach, on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained knee and called up John Jaso to serve as a replacement.
Shoppach, who was picked up from the Indians in the offseason and given a two-year contract, figured to get the majority of the starts over Dioner Navarro this year, yet he was in the lineup for just two of the first six games. He had opened the year 2-for-8 with a double, while Navarro has gone 4-for-17 with no extra-base hits.
Navarro will likely be the the everyday catcher now, as the Rays have never displayed much faith in Jaso’s ability to play defense. Though he was on the 40-man roster, Jaso didn’t get so much as a September callup after hitting .266/.362/.366 for Triple-A Durham last season. He was 4-for-11 to open 2010.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 155
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (156)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)