Apr 13, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
The Rays on Tuesday placed their new catcher, Kelly Shoppach, on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained knee and called up John Jaso to serve as a replacement.
Shoppach, who was picked up from the Indians in the offseason and given a two-year contract, figured to get the majority of the starts over Dioner Navarro this year, yet he was in the lineup for just two of the first six games. He had opened the year 2-for-8 with a double, while Navarro has gone 4-for-17 with no extra-base hits.
Navarro will likely be the the everyday catcher now, as the Rays have never displayed much faith in Jaso’s ability to play defense. Though he was on the 40-man roster, Jaso didn’t get so much as a September callup after hitting .266/.362/.366 for Triple-A Durham last season. He was 4-for-11 to open 2010.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 6
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)