Apr 13, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
The Rays on Tuesday placed their new catcher, Kelly Shoppach, on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained knee and called up John Jaso to serve as a replacement.
Shoppach, who was picked up from the Indians in the offseason and given a two-year contract, figured to get the majority of the starts over Dioner Navarro this year, yet he was in the lineup for just two of the first six games. He had opened the year 2-for-8 with a double, while Navarro has gone 4-for-17 with no extra-base hits.
Navarro will likely be the the everyday catcher now, as the Rays have never displayed much faith in Jaso’s ability to play defense. Though he was on the 40-man roster, Jaso didn’t get so much as a September callup after hitting .266/.362/.366 for Triple-A Durham last season. He was 4-for-11 to open 2010.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)