Apr 13, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
The Rays on Tuesday placed their new catcher, Kelly Shoppach, on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained knee and called up John Jaso to serve as a replacement.
Shoppach, who was picked up from the Indians in the offseason and given a two-year contract, figured to get the majority of the starts over Dioner Navarro this year, yet he was in the lineup for just two of the first six games. He had opened the year 2-for-8 with a double, while Navarro has gone 4-for-17 with no extra-base hits.
Navarro will likely be the the everyday catcher now, as the Rays have never displayed much faith in Jaso’s ability to play defense. Though he was on the 40-man roster, Jaso didn’t get so much as a September callup after hitting .266/.362/.366 for Triple-A Durham last season. He was 4-for-11 to open 2010.
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 0
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 15
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)